[ENDED] Sketchfab Modeling Challenge: Ancient Artifact

This week’s challenge topic was selected by you, the community, and (surprise twist!) you, the community, will also get to pick the winner of the challenge! After the challenge closes, we will open a poll and give you a chance to pick your favorite entry. We encourage you to evaluate entries based on quality , creativity , suitability for real-time , and adherence to the challenge theme .

The challenge this week is to model an ancient artifact. The topic was suggested by David R. Hixson (@chunchucmil).

Be sure to read all the rules and prize info in the announcement blog post:

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to entering a submission in this challenge. This will be my first time entering one of these.

My idea is a fictional Lovecraft inspired skull artifact. I will be modelling with Blender 2.79 and texturing in Substance Painter.

3 Likes

Cool, I’m in.

4 Likes

My idea for this challenge is to create an ancient dagger that looks like it fell straight from the heavens and belonged to Aphrodite. I will be going for a beautiful but weathered look!

Good luck to everyone :relaxed:

4 Likes

Can I use a google image result to create an Ancient Artifact for this weekly participation ? or do I have to draw it by my own ?

It doesn’t have to be fictional, so I’m sure you can recreate an artifact from google images.

2 Likes

nice :slight_smile: thanks !

Do I have to show WIP screens every step of the way? or I can do 1 post with the final model ?

I think post progress shots if you’d like, but they aren’t necessary. They are great for feedback though. Just make sure you submit before the deadline.

1 Like

thanks a lot for all the information :slight_smile: good luck with the participation :slight_smile:

I think I got the wrong idea for “Ancient Artifacts” :roll_eyes:

" The definition of an artifact is something made by humans and often is a primitive tool, structure, or part of a functional item. An example of an artifact would be a cooking pot found by archaeologists that Ancient Romans might have used. "

So, if I decide to model something that is from the realm of “fantasy” would that be consider a legal entry ?
It would be a fantasy ancient artifact :slightly_smiling_face:

I was thinking to do this right here, called “Prism Of Knowledge”

Original Author : https://www.deviantart.com/1oshuart

I have even done the entire blocking to send into Zbrush and start sculpting.

But again I don’t know if it will be considered a legal entry .
am I gonna get rejected ?

4 Likes

I want to participate but I just want to know… what do you mean by “ancient”? Is 1700 ancient? Or do you mean like mesopotamians and egyptians?

Mine isn’t necessarily made by humans either.

I like how both of our artifacts have hands for a base :smiley:

4 Likes

Hey :slight_smile: Nice one !!
I just got back at my home just this second , lol
i’m super tired , don’t know if I do any sculpting today.
I really like yours too :smiley:
thank you for sharing :slight_smile:
And yes , both of our artifacts got “Hands” at their bottom of their base, hehe

That’s a really beautiful artifact! Can’t wait to see your finished model, good luck! :grin:

@saint @Zenet looking good!

As you probably have gathered by now the definition of ‘artifact’ we are using for this challenge is very broad: it can be based on something real :white_check_mark: OR completely fictional :white_check_mark:

@pascalnovadrich hmmm hard to define an exact time frame but if you are basing your entry on real periods in history I think ‘Ancient’ suggests prehistory / mesopotamians / egyptians / Greek / Roman to me

Happy to be challenged on that though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can definitely base your work on a search result, but you can’t use the original image directly in your scene. That would probably lead to copyright issues. What you’ve done above is acceptable.

1 Like

Here’s my entry, mixing existing stuff with cats, cause anything including cats is cuter !

Nice WIP so far as i see, good luck everyone :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello. should an artifact be just a tool? or even a sculpture/figure? :slight_smile:

tool, sculpture, figure - anything at all really. Whatever you are inspired to create based on the theme :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome topic for the challenge, will have to think of something cool!