[ENDED] Sketchfab Modeling Challenge: VR Sculpture Park

(Nebulousflynn) #1

Help us build a VR sculpture park!

Lots of great cities have sculpture parks – they’re wonderful places to walk around, enjoy the fresh air, and interact with unique, 3-dimensional pieces of art. Now it’s time to develop a Sketchfab VR sculpture park that can be enjoyed from the comfort of your living room, without sunscreen or walking shoes.

TL;DR: Use your favorite modeling software to create a sculpture that looks great in VR, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #VRSculptureParkChallenge.

Be sure to read the full announcement for full rules, prize info and how to enter:

(Nebulousflynn) #2

Small update to the rules!

• Textures: max 2048x2048 pixels, max 3 maps

(Adan) #3

Is that per object or per Scene?

(Lpdenmark) #4

Would be very interested, but my Oculus Go doesn´t
work very well with the VR view.

Any fix on its way?

(Adan) #5

Here’s what I have come up with baking maps soon, the render is what it might look like.

(Adan) #6

well here is my first entry, hope it fits within the contest guidelines.

(Kayess) #7

hello there - sorry for borrowing this thread,

I just wonder, if the final scene is meant to be “PBR” or not?
Only 3 maps were allowed, so no transparency, glow, metal, AO, roughness?
You just allow for color, normal and… specular (old style texturing)?

Are Matcaps possible?

best,
Kayess

(Smallpoly) #8

I’m wondering that too actually. Makes sense for keeping sizes from getting out of control, but for PBR it’s nice to have base, metalness, roughness, normals and AO.

I suppose the GLTF AO+Gloss+Metalness combo maps would help out here a bit and still stick in the 3 map limit.

(Nebulousflynn) #9

per scene

(Nebulousflynn) #10

hi @lpdenmark - better to post that in the Support Fourm for a legit answer

(Nebulousflynn) #11

@smallpoly @playdagaimz - the limit of 3 is part of the challenge!

It also makes it easier for us to create a final combined scene and will make the viewing experience in webVR perform better.

(Belware Arts) #12

Cool contest! I decided to make something about my country Ecuador. Here is my entry: Mitad del Mundo.

Feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

(Lpdenmark) #13

Done that, just want to mention that one of the most hyped devices doesn´t do in viewing the results, I see that the HTC Vive also have problems.

(Nebulousflynn) #14

cool - thanks, it’s appreciated!

(Plasticarm) #15

I have to try to get the poly count down and finish painting it, but I wanted to see if anyone could give any feedback.

(Bart) #16

I’ve added the #VRSculptureParkChallenge tag to the model for you. Even though it’ still a WIP, it’s good practice to add them early on :slight_smile:

(Adan) #17

it looks really good, albeit dense if you were to make a lower poly version I think those holes and pits may become the issue, especially because of they’re integral to the overall look.

(Plasticarm) #18

I got the poly count down to 10k. It could use a little manual touch up probably. Maybe a layer with transparency of some painted on wires and stuff could help where the details were lost around the holes.

(Nebulousflynn) #19

Just a few hours left to enter this challenge!

We’d like to combine all the entries into a 3D sculpture park so please make your model downloadable OR send a message with a private link to community@sketchfab.com with the subject line #VRSculptureParkChallenge

(Juliocruzalta) #21

I’m sorry, I was post my entry with 36 textures and I read after that the rules allow only 3 textures. This version of my Space Hero Sculture has only 3 textures and is downloable. This is my final entry, thanck you very much.