[ENDED] Sketchfab Sculpting Challenge: Netsuke

netsuke
culturalheritage
sculpting

(Nebulousflynn) #1

Inspiration can take many forms, and for this week’s contest we turn to 3D scans of Japanese netsuke carvings from some of the museums on Sketchfab. The goal is to sculpt your take, whether modern or traditional, on the centuries-old netsuke.

TL;DR: Use your favorite sculpting tools to create your own netsuke, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #NetsukeChallenge.

Be sure to read the announcement blog post for full rules and how to enter:

(Toomanydemons) #2

Very cool. I’ll see if I can come up with a neat idea for this! :upside_down_face:

At the moment I’m thinking about a mermaid…

(Crazymanuel) #3

Hi, i think some netsuke with pop culture. primite art combine with modern.

(Flyingfoxworkshop) #4

Nice theme ! I Think I am going to sculpt a netsuke inspired by Phi Krasû (warning - shocking image). With a more japanese and Kawaï style.

(Bart) #6

That’s a pretty shocking image you’re sharing there - you can’t just post that without warning people about it. I’ve edited your link to clarify. Also, be sure to post your entry as ‘Age+’ if it’s the same kind of content.

(Flyingfoxworkshop) #7

Sorry, thanks for the Edit Bart.

(Crazymanuel) #8

some fast idea.
I dont know if i would change.

(Strychnine7) #9

just posted my entry, dunno if I had posted it correctly, since it’s my first time uploading to sketchfab xD

(Flyingfoxworkshop) #10

Here is my entry ! Was fun to do !

(warning - shocking image)

(Oscar Trejo) #11

I decided to do a Oni Ivory mask for the challenge

I love sketchfab´s contests they are super interesting I had no idea of the existence of Netsukes :smiley:

(Plasticarm) #12

Had some fun making this one.

(Toomanydemons) #13

SO cool!!

I wish I’d had more time for this guys, I got a new computer and most of my time has been spent “re-acclimating”. So I guess I may have to miss this one.

Great stuff so far, really interesting topic for a contest as well.

(Toomanydemons) #14

Beautiful work. Imaginative and humorous.

(Pimplik) #15

Hello! Something I later remembered about the forum :slight_smile: I wanted to combine the culture of ancient and modern Japan.

I tried to repeat the material from this figure, which my father brought from the north of Russia.

How the idea developed I showed here: artstation

(Abby Crawford) #16

And the winner is...

Bug Driver Netsuke by plasticarm

A big thank you to everybody who participated! :star2: