[ENDED] Sketchfab Sculpting Challenge: Sorcery

sorcery-sculpt-challenge-header-1500x500-2-1500x500

This week we challenge you to sculpt a sorcery-related character, prop, or scene, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #SorceryChallenge.

Full rules and prize details in the blog announcement:

3 Likes

As a non-sculpter, I’d love to see a time lapse video of someone’s entry too if they have time?

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: Is texturing or coloring allowed ? Or is it sculpting only ? Never done much sculpting and I’d really like to try my hand at it

Hi! Your entry will only be judged on the sculpting - we’ll be looking at all entries in Matcap view for this.

Thanks for the info :wink:

I would like to create a Storm-Giant Battle-mage… it sounds super cool. I will stream and record, & put together a time-lapse as well. :slight_smile:

Since the contest involves a scene, I’ll make him standing high above a forest, perched on a bluff overlooking some small houses. He’ll be casting a spell that will be sending wild lightning and clouds into a centrifugal flurry around his flowing garments.

At least, that’s the image in my head. I’ll get to it. Here is the first timelapse video for my progress:

It appears I was recording at 50% resolution :stuck_out_tongue: lol! recording myself is not something I do a lot of… I will remember for next time and make a better quality timelapse.

2 Likes

Before posing and extensive re-sculpting, I want to have his core anatomy laid out decently enough to be readable. Minute details aren’t necessary until I know what parts of him will be covered or exposed, but the basic structure of the character needs to be in place. A few more days and he’ll be ready for posing.

This is the second timelapse video for today’s work on the Storm Giant:

It’s most fun to watch at x2 speed with your own music ^_^.

1 Like

Thanks for the videos @toomanydemons - I edited your posts a bit to make the video embeds show up - you need to paste the video link into a no paragraph (hit return twice) for 3D/video embeds to show.

But I loved seeing your workflow :heart_eyes: - even just the initial blocking out of shapes with those blobs/balls was cool to see (I’ve never used z brush before) as well as how you work on parts like the hands separately.

:point_up_2: just a note that a full scene is not compulsory - you can enter with a character, creature or prop on its own too.

1 Like

Thanks Flynn :slight_smile: !

I thought about posting a timelapse for every day I work on him, but I am realizing I’m apparently not well-versed in forum activity and tend to hog these contest chatrooms.
It’s always been a way of reviewing my progress (for myself), and it’s helpful to my process, so I’ve moved this to another thread. Here’s the link: Storm Giant BattleMage WIP
I will post the final work in the main thread here when I’m done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! I’ll follow along in the new thread :slight_smile:

Thanks for being considerate of other people here on the forum :pray:

2 Likes

My final bit of work. I hope you guys like it. It was very enjoyable.

The lettering in the spellbook looked awful in matcap. Even though I fussed with it quite a bit, it just didn’t look nice, so I took it out. Still, I think the scene looks cool ! So here it is… :slight_smile:

Also of note, I used Blender for decimation, and relied on quadrangulation to stay under 3m polys. Blender’s decimator is very impressive for keeping detail.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,
Do you have any advice on lowering the filesize ? I have 2.9M triangles, and I think I sadly can’t get under the 50MB limit.

Thanks in advace !

Nevermind, ended up using decimate until the file size was good and almost no detail was lost and I finally got there :slight_smile: And here is my creation. As I explained in the description it is my very first complete sculpt. I messed with sculpting tools in the past but never got around to doing an actual model out of it, so that was my chance ! Tried to be as original as I could with the character design and background too. Hope you guys enjoy :wink:

4 Likes

Hello all!

I would love to enter into this contest; in fact I just finished my submission. But there’s the issue of the file being too large; 179MB. Is there a way around this?

I live in the west coast; by the time the deadline passes I would still be at work (hence trying to upload it early). Is there a way to submit my entry?

Thank you and looking forward to seeing everyone’s work (and great job to those that already completed! @DevilBlackDeath @toomanydemons )

I have observed that I can get more onto sketchfab with an fbx file, as opposed to an obj., I hope that helps.

2 Likes

It worked! Granted I still had to sacrificed quite a bit a detail, but it went from 179MB to 70MB! Thank you, friend!

1 Like

Here is my submission for the challenge. She was really fun to do and might add more to the scene later!

3 Likes

Hello, this challenge sounds awesome, I only had a couple of sesions on it but it was definitely a fun one. Here are some steps of progress,

, this is how it turned out https://skfb.ly/6LWCz
MC - 3D model by Nathan Wondrak (@nathanwondrak) - Sketchfab

2 Likes

Beautiful work; dynamic and flowing, I can see the movement of her form. :metal:

1 Like

Ah, Thank you! That’s high praise coming from the one with the epic, beautifully set, and highly detailed entry!

1 Like