[ENDED] Sketchfab Store Challenge: 3D Scanning

scanning
store

(Nebulousflynn) #1

Welcome to a challenge exclusively for sellers on the Sketchfab Store – the aim of the challenge is to equip you with everything you need to know to create some great selling 3D assets from your initial 3D scans.

It’s a longer challenge than normal (4 weeks) to give you enough time to capture some new 3D and learn the software workflows to turn it into a read-to-buy asset on the Store. There is a step by step guide to making your scans store ready in the blog announcement.

The challenge:
Capture one or more 3D scans for your store, optimized for re-use. Upload to Sketchfab, add the tag #StoreScanChallenge and set to paid download with a price of your choice.

Deadline for this challenge is Tuesday, May 1st (23:59 New York time – ET)

N.B. This challenge assumes you have a 3D scan to begin with and are already set up as a seller on the Sketchfab Store. If you want to learn about creating 3D scans, go check out these blog posts and find out more about becoming a seller on the Store here.

Be sure to read the full announcement post for details of prizes, rules, suggested workflows & terms:
https://blog.sketchfab.com/sketchfab-store-challenge-3d-scanning/

(Nebulousflynn) #2

:point_right: Adding this as a separate post so people don’t miss it: there is an extensive guide to preparing your 3D scans for sale in the blog post. :point_left:

I’ll be posting the results of my own efforts to create a 3D scanned manhole cover pack here too, and will try and include some videos of the processes / software I’m using.

(Nebulousflynn) #4

thanks for spotting that @johngreenstone, have just fixed!

Deadline for this challenge is Tuesday, May 1st (23:59 New York time – ET)

(Smallpoly) #5

I’ve been practicing my Substance Painter and retopo skills, and just got my first camera drone in the mail. Might be able to do something for this one. :slight_smile:

(Nebulousflynn) #6

@smallpoly sounds like you have all you need to make some great models :camera_flash: :helicopter:

I’ll be ‘working out loud’ as I go through the stages outlined in the blog post here in the forum, so to begin:

1. Before you begin: Plan Your Scan!
I spent some time thinking about what I have access to scan and what might make for a versatile model to sell on the store. Since I relocated to New York recently, I decided to scan some things I see everyday, I have ready access to, and that I hope will be applicable to in a number of use cases - manhole covers!

1a. Categories
I’m targeting the ‘Architecture’ category

1b. Identify your audience
I’m aiming for my scans to appeal to game developers, architects and VFX artists.

1c. Complete Scans
This should be easy enough. Even if I can’t capture the underside of each cover I think the majority of use cases will only call for the top, street view-able side of each cover.

1d. Asset Packs
I plan to create a pack of 8 manhole covers. I may offer them for sale individually as well.

My plan is:

• create a hi-res (1 million face), textured scan for each cover using RealityCapture
  • crop this scan and use it to bake colour, normal and AO maps to a low-res (possibly even just 2 triangle) mesh
  • create a master 16k atlas for all 8 covers and see what I can crunch it down to with good results

Here’s one of the hi-res meshes in RC:

(Nebulousflynn) #7

…and the first result created by baking textures using Blender. All texture maps are 8k which I know is nuts for such a background element as a manhole cover, but this way I have ll I need to produce different levels of detail and find a sweet spot of resolution / visual definition.

(Nebulousflynn) #8

Dropping this here as a reminder to check it out myself - I’ve only watched the first 5 mins but sounds like a perfect fit for this challenge:

(Rigsters) #9

Thanks for another great challenge and thorough guide into photogrammetry!

4 weeks of challenge helps a lot as well :slight_smile:

I have decided to go for a collection of baked goods, starting with some bread and soon moving on to Danish pastries.

Mainly targeting game devs here. Trying to bring all the assets below 1k polys and going for a full PBR sweetness :slight_smile: Here are some WIP screens:

(Nebulousflynn) #10

I’m still plugging away at my set of manhole covers - initial experiments with auto-retopology using Simplygon didn’t go … as planned:

Moving forward I plan on making an atlas for each map (base colour, normal, ao) for all 8 manhole covers that can be used to create flat decals (e.g. in game software, BG for VFX) but also produce some low res full 3D versions by giving the disc some thickness and (I think) using a clone brush to fill in the missing edge textures.

Let’s see how it goes!

(Nebulousflynn) #11

that’s some hi-def bread! :ok_hand::sparkles:

(Cie) #12

That’s some nice mesh bread, looks awesome! And 4 weeks is indeed a welcome timeframe. I just had a long photoshoot day behind me when this contest came, so i’ve been posting quite some models for the contest. Now i’m still working on one yet, my first full metal object.

I was also working on a very cool scan of a renovated old asian door, but i have to postpone that one, my photograph strategy didn’t work as i intended (opening and closing the door so both sides of the door would have the same lighting, then masking the background, so it wouldn’t notice the different position. But the sides of the doors alone dont give enough overlap to recognize the correct position. I could bake to high to low poly, then afterwards stitch the lowpoly version together, but that’s going to be pain. So i’m rescheduling that.

(Nebulousflynn) #13

I’ve just about finished making the texture maps of the manhole covers - colour, normal, ao and transparency. Effect is maybe a little hard to see here but I’m still tweaking things before I publish…

Also toying with making basic ‘full 3D’ models as part of the pack but I think this might have to wait until I have time to work on them

If anyone can think of a better way to triangular a mesh like this let me know!

(Nebulousflynn) #14

:speaking_head: Reminder!

This challenge ends tomorrow Tuesday, May 1st (23:59 New York time – ET)

(Nebulousflynn) #15

Challenge Over!

Thanks to everyone who took part, we’ll announce the winner soon!

View all the entries here

(Nebulousflynn) #16

And the winner is…

Dragon Column by Kevin Lai

Thanks to everyone who took part in this challenge - we hope you learned something or it was just good practice.

Either way, wishing you all the best making some money from your hard work! :moneybag: