[ENDED] Sketchfab Texturing Challenge: Classical Sculpture

culturalheritage
texturing

(Nebulousflynn) #1

What makes these sculptures masculine or feminine? How can color and texture affect the presentation of gender in ancient works of art?

Welcome to this month’s texturing challenge! This time around we’ve partnered with SMK - the National Gallery of Denmark to challenge your texturing skills and get you thinking at the same time.

The challenge is simple: consider the two sculptures in the collection below as representations of gender, download and texture one or both of them according to your response.

Be sure to check out the full rules & prizes in the blog announcement:
https://blog.sketchfab.com/sketchfab-texturing-challenge-classical-sculpture/

(Dark Minaz) #2

I wanted to infuse the statue with my 2 favorite games, the angels from bayonetta and the orokin from warframe.
Still a few more steps tomorrow but pretty happy with the result for today.

Final goal is to show the warrior inside that struggles between good and evil. Might take a while to really get the final idea done. Not sure yet what to do with that tumor thing that comes out of his leg though :confused:

(Shaderbytes) #3

Im not officially entering but I did the one model quickly using smart materials in 3d-coat:

(Shaderbytes) #4

ok i did both models now , just a quick job again but looks alright to me :slight_smile:

(btw the forum has a bug if you paste a sketchfab link of a model not yet published , it doesnt display anything except the url obviously , but if you try and go publish the model before submitting your post it still does not display anything , if you try delete your link and paste again it does not work , even if you delete the entire message and write a new one, the link doesnt not post properly - no display , hence i attached an image now )

(Dark Minaz) #5

finished my entry, the Fallen Warrior of Good and Evil.

(Smallpoly) #6

Sounds fun. Might try this one. :slight_smile:

(Spliter) #7

Venus.

Les effets du temps n’altèrent pas à la beauté féminine.

(Newhere) #8

My Entries:

(Dark Minaz) #9

wanted to test out a few things, some worked as intended, some didn’t :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jose Martinez Jimenez) #10

I wanted to do something easy, simple and fast for my entry, so here it is:

And here a render:

(Nebulousflynn) #11

Thanks for these great entries already everyone!i

It would be useful to include a little description of how your work responds to the questions posed by the challenge too:

• What makes these sculptures masculine or feminine?
  • How can color and texture affect the presentation of gender in ancient works of art?

(Noonespecial) #12

I have a few clarifying questions.

1. Can the textures include normal maps?
  2. What makes these sculptures masculine or feminine? I’m taking that question as meaning what intrinsic qualities in the sculpture itself possesses qualities of masculinity or femininity? How can color and texture affect the presentation of gender in ancient works of art? So are we to use color and textures that would be historically accurate representations of gender or are we using color and textures of our choosing that we believe would enhance the masculine or feminine qualities of the sculpture?

(BITBOT) #13

Just finished my entry.

(Nebulousflynn) #14

hello!

1. Yes, please use/create any maps you like.
  2. How you approach the task is up to you e.g. you could attempt make the statue of the Doryphoros more masculine OR more feminine for example. Or even ‘neutral’.

From the blog post:

Will you double down on strong pinks and blues or opt for a subtler commentary using metalness, transparency and normal maps?

(Dark Minaz) #15

To my 2 models :wink:

1.1 I think the bold and simple colors show the more masculine side of the Sculpture. Also shows the warriors struggle between good and evil, fighting to protect.
2.1 I don’t think color can change the gender but i can enhance the initial impression.
Gold is often used in more male focused items, or engraving into special weapons. Using more colder/blue-ish colors often fits more into the typical male role.

2.1 The more colorful warm tones should bring out the more feminine side
2.2 i did pick silver and bronze for this one with a darker fabric that brings out the skin color more for this one and gave her a warm tone.
On one side for a silly pun on the other because a lot of jewelry used to be silver and bronze for women.

(Shaderbytes) #16

i think the latter , it kind of would answer the previous as historically im sure the same artistic ideas were used as today in regards to color. In general i mean …

I obviously used easy color and surface types to depict male and female… the male was metal and dark colored the female was plaster and faint coloured

(Newhere) #17

Texture Samples (Actual size is 2048 by 2048);
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141150&d=1523436675

(Newhere) #18

What makes these sculptures masculine or feminine?
newhere’s Answer: In my honest opinion, I think that both of these are masculine and feminine in their own way (Some likes of which would be too controversial if I explain more in detail about it.) Also, Just like the sculptures made for the Pharaoh kings and queens of Egypt, these Greek versions were made nude so clothes, weapons, and other hand helds (artifacts/Antiquities of today’s standards) could be added to them later when they finished sculpting and painting the bodies. But, unlike Egypt (who gave women equality like men and high powered positions in their culture) The Greeks didn’t want their women to be in a position of power which some of the more feminine statues represented in one way or another (Which is why if you look at almost all of the female statues compared to the males, their stoned ligaments were badly damaged.) Furthermore, I believe that this particular version of Venus de Milo’s arms had been damaged/removed on purpose because the one(s) who might of first discovered it, did not want the rest of the world to see what she was holding in her hands and supporting on her left knee (Which probably had a tremendous influence of how women should of been in the Greek culture) Let alone the rest of the world in today’s era.

How can color and texture affect the presentation of gender in ancient works of art?
newhere’s Answer: Color/Texture can give a more in depth look at how you feel when looking at these works of art. It also brings life to the formality of it and helps us to relate to these edifices that normally without it would not show.

(BITBOT) #19

Doryphoros day 2018/04/11

(Alti89) #20

Hey Guys,

Here is my actuell entry for the Contest
Venus the devine Oracle godess

• maybe i do some slight adjustments.