[ENDED] Sketchfab Texturing Challenge: Fish

(Bart) #1

Something is fishy here at Sketchfab, and it’s this texturing challenge! Fishes offer a variety of exciting texturing opportunities, from their luminous scales to their diaphanous fins and glassy eyes. Your task is to make this little fish stand out from the school.

TL;DR: Texture this goldfish using your favorite texturing workflow, upload it to Sketchfab and tag it with #FishChallenge. Be sure to credit jimzorb and link to his model.

Be sure to read the announcement blog post for full rules and how to enter:

https://blog.sketchfab.com/sketchfab-texturing-challenge-fish/

(Ally Albon) #2

ooh, I like this one! I have been incredibly busy recently, but anything with fish, especially goldfish, and i’m there! :smiley:

(Heatherknudson) #3

I too am all down for fishies!
I’ll try to find some time for this one!

(David Caturegli) #4

Why not.

(Lewis Clark) #5

Now that I’ve got some time to dedicate to trying out new things I might give this one a proper shot. Gonna need to brainstorm what style to go for. Could go for a colourful scheme or try a theme like zombie or robotic.

(Ch0mpy) #6

Great challenge!
This is my first entry. Textured like a normal Goldfish.
I will try to do a robotic fish, too. If i have the time for that :smiley:

(Voleuro) #7

Sounds like a fun challenge. I think I’ll try to texture it as a somewhat overgrown mossy statue. Let’s see how it will turn out. :slight_smile:

(Voleuro) #8

Finished my mossy stone gold fish statue today. I’m quite happy how it turned out. :smile:

(Scott Thompson) #9

What if Deep Sea Goldfish Species ?
(Bioluminiscencia Carassius auratus )

(Miniguzmi) #10

Well, i decided that i wanted to create something more like a Neon fish. I know it looks more like a Goldfish, but i wanted to try emissive.

I finally ended my first try and here it is:

Good luck everyone!

(Michael Nixon) #11

Just finished up my entry. I initially wasn’t sure if i was going to enter, but i had a few different ideas for this challenge. I was going to create a fish with tattoos all over it, but i couldnt get it to look the way i wanted. I ended up thinking about water and fish and thought it would be cool if i could try and capture the look of a water colour painting. Not sure if it came out exactly the way i pictured but it was something different from what im used to and i think it came out alright.

(Mendes Egn) #12

I’m not liking, any tips for improvement?

(Alok Aks50) #13

One more good challenge for improving texturing skills. i will try to create something for this.
had one question! can we deform the mesh little bit (not changing mesh or modeling, just a deformation)?
hope to create something in time :slight_smile:

(Alok Aks50) #14

Reminds me of “vision” character from avengers… try giving uneven color variation little more. it looks fairly basic now.

(Michael Nixon) #15

Definitely has potential. Some ideas are:
maybe a bit of edge ware on the panels/dirt or grime to break up the colour a bit, some bolts/screws where the panels may be secured. lights might be interesting, vents or access hatches, decals of numbers or warning stickers, different materials, like fabrics (plastics or rubber).
Just some ideas.

(Goicaue Guo) #16

It’s always nice to be able to just pick up the brush and paint since my everyday job now is PBR stuff. I’d very much like to polish it further but I see a long week ahead with a very hard deadline. So I have to call it now. Hope you would like it. Also very excited to see everybody’s work.

(Alanjack) #17

It’s the terror of the aquarium. Don’t forget to feed him!

Congratulations to all and good luck :slight_smile:

(Otterwolfy) #18

My first ever entry to any contest here. Led to some pretty fun experimentation.

(Slyguy) #19

Been waiting for a moment to have some free time and join one of the sketchfab contents. Its been a challenge thinking of a category to base my fish off however, jade statues are soooo cool i couldn’t pass at the opportunity. Excited to see the other entrants :smile:

(Lewis Clark) #20

Decided to go for a tropical theme for my entry. This is my first time entering a competition and first time trying out Substance Painter for a project.