[Ended] Sketchfab Texturing Challenge: Graffiti

This week we challenge you to use Renafox’s 3D scanned van as your graffiti canvas. Just download his model (we recommend using the original .fbx file) and texture it with your preferred tools and workflow, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #GraffitiChallenge.

Full rules and prize details on the blog:

1 Like

I was wondering something about this contest…can we use copy-written characters(anime, simpsons, etc) or does the content of the graffiti have to be wholly original. Just to be clear i am not asking if i can grab an image online and slap it on but can i draw my own original work that is using those characters?

Hi and thanks for the question.

In the context of this challenge, I think re-use of existing IP or in copyright characters, logos etc. would fall under “fair use”, so it should be OK.

Please bare in mind that I’m not a lawyer and can’t give proper legal advice, but Rich Stim, Attorney at law at Stanford University Library defines “fair use” as:

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. In other words, fair use is a defense against a claim of copyright infringement. If your use qualifies as a fair use, then it would not be considered an infringement.

So what is a “transformative” use? If this definition seems ambiguous or vague, be aware that millions of dollars in legal fees have been spent attempting to define what qualifies as a fair use. There are no hard-and-fast rules, only general guidelines and varied court decisions, because the judges and lawmakers who created the fair use exception did not want to limit its definition. Like free speech, they wanted it to have an expansive meaning that could be open to interpretation.

Most fair use analysis falls into two categories: (1) commentary and criticism, or (2) parody.

For more information I suggest you read the full post

2 Likes

Ok i think that clears it up for me, thank you for the response.

I was wondering, do we have to completely re-texture the van? Or do we build the graffiti on the existing Van texture?

Just adding graffiti is the idea :+1:

Hey. Does it have to be original graffiti or can we just take anything from online and stick it on the van?

You can use anything as long as you respect copyrights / use Creative Commons (or similar) licensed material and add a proper credit in your model description.

Keep in mind that the theme is ‘graffiti’ as well - copy pasting photos or clip are might not fit the theme :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aquí les dejo mi propuesta para el concurso de Graffity Van.
Mi idea ha sido crear un diseño de furgoneta surfero relacionado con la isla de Ibiza y su espíritu. Y juntarlo con otra de mis pasiones como es la música ha sido muy gratificante e inspirador. La animación, sencilla pero creo que le da su punto.
Espero que la disfruten.

Here is my entry for the challenge.
All of the textures have been painted by hand using only Substance Painters particle system. Heads up for anyone who wants to try this method. It will take a VERY LONG time to export the texture, so be careful.
This is FREE as usual.

Reference images:

2 Likes

very rough variant (WIP) of Punks_party on yacht. Trying to make the whole carSurface as one volume_canvas :crazy_face: But too little painting abilities.

1 Like

Hi everyone, this is my entry for the contest! Totally handpainted with substance painter.

1 Like

I figured I’d ask what you guys thought

1 Like

Here is my version of the model GraffitiChallenge OLD CAR - Download Free 3D model by orbita-s (@orbita-s) - Sketchfab https://skfb.ly/6NPHL

missed important part of the original surface, but will add opacity to roof part near the back (rust!) later.
was good time!

I got a feeling that today is the day

Suerte a todos, y sobre todo para wakarma!!!
Que gane el mejor!!!

1 Like

Tagging never looked so good! You all turned in a great set of entries this week and the judges loved seeing them all. But there can only be one…:blue_car:

And the winner is...

Texturing Challenge - Graffiti Van by @andrea.crivello.art

Here’s what the judges had to say:

“This one gets my vote for the nicely weathered graffiti, nice aesthetically pleasing graffiti as well.” - Renafox (@kryik1023)

“Convincing vandalism! I especially like the details on the dirty windows.” - Tom (@nebulousflynn)

4 Likes

Congratulations to @andrea.crivello.art

1 Like