[ENDED] Sketchfab Texturing Challenge: Skateboard

(Ceslav Sukstul) #42

Thanks for feedback! Yes you may right and I was thinking a lot of this damages. I didn’t wanted just add scratches on both sides but something different on both sides to not make whole place very symmetrical. So I used this image as reference:

On the image it has much smaller damage/scratch on just one side and increased on my board to point on some damage or fall into something.
I was trying to add tear and wear effects but not make it look very old and dead and that was hardest part :smiley:

My all references:

Thanks again for feedback!

(Shaderbytes) #43

no worries , i myself also opted for no heavy wear and tear , the board had to look like 2 or 3 weeks old etc. As mentioned there is no right and wrong here , for example your reference image for wear shows that the rider only uses the board from the same end in regards to ollie , does do any nollies etc , only tail slides , no nose slide - so no wear on the other end. :wink:

otherwise generally speaking you will have wear on both ends , the symmetry is expected, I know cg artists have to avoid symmetry because it is often not natural , even with wear on both ends, i expect one side would have more than the other , so its not 100% symmetry , but generally symmetrical to the wear pattern.

cheers

(Ceslav Sukstul) #44

Great! Thanks for feedback and explanation! Yes your work is great I like it!

Edit:
Had some mistakes which I fixed after some feedback on Facebook. I forgot to add scratches to black paint on bolts and nuts so did it. Added slight paint wear from the wheels and wood texture’s height details not going through the paint any more.

(Mhayesvfs) #45

Hey gang,

This looks fun.

I’m having fun with the gel style wheels (getting the IOR to work properly was easier than anticipated) :slight_smile:

I’ll put this here for now (WIP, and will continue to evolve):

(Ceslav Sukstul) #46

Looks nice! I was thinking to have some refraction for wheels as well but later changed my mind :slight_smile: I think you should try to increase a bit refraction and roughness because view through wheels still too clear so wheels looks more like semi transparent plastic. Maybe I’m wrong, would need to look for references.

(Ceslav Sukstul) #47

I have done some updates on my model.
Added more wear on the top because looked too new while bottom was more scratchy.
“Removed” one bolt with opacity map to make it look less perfect :slight_smile:
Added scratches in the middle of the bottom of the board.
Added a bit of oil around some joints and nuts.
Added more scratches and dirt on the edge of the board and a bit on the grip tape around bolts.

(Redy) #48

Nice tribute to Chris, his art is amazing.
A little tip for the Gel wheels, make sure you have Double Sided geometry rendering checked, and play around with your HDR lighting until you have a refractory effect with more “juiceness”. Sometimes having the physical correct value for the IOR doesnt directly equates into a more vivid impression of the material you want to convey depending on your lighting setup. Nice job in overall! Specially over the painted wood material.

(Redy) #49

I really liked those Marmoset renders! Your texture deprecating skills are into a high level! ahah
The opacity map was a very creative workaround as well.

(Ceslav Sukstul) #50

Thanks mate!

(BladeManEXE10) #51

It’s okay to use photos for texture painting, right? What about external programs?

Because I’ve got an idea for art I could make in gimp and a barely used skateboard in my closet to take pictures of.

(Norgeotloic) #52

Using photos is surely okay!

You can also use any program you wish for your texturing work, be it 3Ds max, blender, Substance Painter, Gimp, Photoshop… etc.

Heck, you could even use Paint if you have the skills :wink:

Good luck for your texturing !

(BladeManEXE10) #53

Does anyone know if there’s a way to paint a texture map to control the index of refraction? I figure it could be done with a greyscale map, I’m just not sure what values of grey translate to what IoR values.

(Norgeotloic) #54

“Sadly” no, you can’t control the IOR with a texture and it will remain uniform for your material…

What you can do to simulate nice looking refractive material is play with the roughness value in the Opacity settings, which allows to create non-uniform looking materials.

Using refractive materials renders the “Model editor” mode basically useless, but you can have a look at this model and the amber material to get a feeling of what is achievable quite easily, but with loads and loads of iterations on the roughness textures and material settings !

Eager to see what you’re preparing !

(BladeManEXE10) #55

To be honest, you guys did much better. But I actually finished this time and learned some stuff.

Insert web surfing pun here

(Shaderbytes) #56

actually this is not totally true, some very hidden info was revealed not to long ago ,quote @stephomi

"Real time engines usually don’t use IOR as input (reason : 8bit texture map bad precision distribution + artistic control).

You can derive the F0 value from the ior with:

F0 = ((1-ior)/(1+ior))²

The default ior is 1.5, which gives you 0.04 (4% of light reflected at 0° angle for dielectric materials).
F0 values lie in the range 0-0.08, so that’s why the default F0 slider is set on 0.5.

note: some non-real time engines will sometimes handle 1/ior value instead of the direct ior values (once again because of texture precision)."

(Shaderbytes) #57

so not really ior but at least a means to control reflection stength on dielectric ( albeit being uniform ) , for metal materials the F0 slider does nothing ( they determine the reflection amount internally and you cant change it )

The only thing you can change there is the roughness of the reflection , not the amount.

So for dielectric materials F0 slider is handy even with the approximation and uniform relection amount at least you can control the amount. :wink:

(Stephomi) #58

I think the IOR mentioned is the one used in the opacity refraction channel, not the derived for the F0 channel (more subtle).

(Shaderbytes) #59

@stephomi sorry I must have missed that :wink:

Anyway Clear coat is the way to go for the “best looking” falloff on a material eg :

reflection 0 , notice the red tint has no falloff :

now set reflection to maximum , notice the falloff :

there is no other way i know of on sketchfab to get this sort of IOR

F0 changes here will just increase the center strength , the edges remain the same

(Shaderbytes) #60

and yes it is not IOR , the reflection remains the same, but due the the tint falloff based on the IOR it give the “best looking” effect , well to me at least. I use it with car paints all the time now … clearcoat is the best thing sketchfab has added to the renderer to make materials come to life. :wink:

(Vam C) #61

Hi guys after long time back to participate in challenge. This time for this challenge I want to do some stylised stuff and came up with this piece.