[ENDED} Sketchfab Texturing Challenge: Zombie

(Bart) #1

As we stagger closer to the most ghoulish of nights – Halloween – we turn a corner into a dark alley and see…a clay colored zombie. Huh. Usually they’re a little gross and gory, but this one is just…beige? Looks like he needs your magical texturing skills to really shine – or exude his hungry-for-brains, stink of the undead aura. This week we challenge you to bring this zombie to life by giving it a killer texture.

TL;DR: Texture this zombie using your favorite texturing workflow, upload it to Sketchfab and tag it with #ZombieChallenge. Be sure to credit Doug Silva 3D and link to his model.

Be sure to read the announcement blog post for full rules and how to enter:

(Botched Taco) #2

Any tips on working with these eyebrows in Substance Painter?

I assume it is based on the opacity map included with the model, but I haven’t run across one of those so far.

(Toomanydemons) #3

This looks like fun :3 I love Halloween! (and zombies :smiling_imp: )

I’ll see what I can do for this contest.

(Toomanydemons) #4

You could paint an opacity map in Photoshop, using the normal map as a guide.

(Toomanydemons) #5

With his large frame, big neck and knuckle-dragging pose… and his workout shirt and goatee tuft… I peg this big guy as a bodybuilder zombie :slight_smile:

So I’m going to work in that direction and stick to the basics.

(Jennifer) #6

Fun! I’ll be joining this one.

I’m thinking of making a Sweet Tooth Zombie. Like, a zombie with a thing for sweets, not the clown. :clown_face:
I’m going to try to make this as colorful as I can. :woman_artist:t4:

I’m adding a few small props to emphasize my idea.

(Toomanydemons) #7

To give this guy a truly awesome zombie texture, it has to start at the bake level. I’m going to enhance his normal/height maps with extra detail and gore.

Imo, the best place to do this is Zbrush. I’m going to sculpt in my own extra detail and bake it onto him, then combine or replace the original normal map.

This will give me a lot of extra gory zombie detail to paint in :slight_smile:

WIP

(Ibanessie) #8

I’ll join into this fun! I’m thinking of something cartoony and fun, something like plants vs zombies, or something that blizzard would do for overwatch. Let’s see what i come up with! Have fun everyone!

(Ch0mpy) #9

Yeah, I was thinking of something similar, big muscle, big neck :smile:
but instead of a bodybuilder, I’ll make him a football player

WIP:

(Toomanydemons) #10

That is awesome!! lolol.

He needs shoulder-pads too though. :slight_smile:

(Toomanydemons) #11

Houston, we have pants!

(Soldierfernandes) #12

Hello Taco, i made the eyeborows on photoshop as toomanydemons said.
take a look on the .zip and be free to edit
Hairface mask.zip (2.1 MB)

(Toomanydemons) #13

I’ve made a bunch of my own zombie brushes and alphas, in combination with the ones from XMD. This guy’s just about ready to bake. Just need to do the hands, feet and face.

I plan on using 3D Coat for this one. It has better tools for stylized painting.

(Adeboye Grillo) #15

@toomanydemons the shoulders look padded already

(Toomanydemons) #16

I suppose you’re right. I loved the helmet and thought pads would work nice, but thinking about it now, it might be difficult to do with that shirt. Fun stuff ^^

(Avalero) #17

reminds me of a titan from SnK with all those muscles…sweet! ^^ looking forward to the end result!

(Avalero) #18

Hi! I’ll be joining the challenge this time, I want to practise some Substance Painter.
First I was thinking of making a zombie with poorly applied make-up and a t-shirt full of hearts, going the comedy alley. But as I was trying to plan it listening to some classic rock I just went “hey, what about a KISS fan zombie?”.

And now here we are! Find an early WIP below:

I think I’ll get rid of the eyebrows all together to have a clear view of the face and the make-up. More WIPs will follow, this is so much fun!

(Pallavi Maruvada) #20

This is awesome! I’m super excited for this!

(Ibanessie) #21

WIP - Done with the majority of the texturing, i’ll be adding details now and clean up everything. I want to make a little scenery with a pedestal and add some flowers.

(Toomanydemons) #22

I’ve finished the sculpt and run a test bake in Substance Painter. The details bake smoothly over Doug’s original mesh. I did find some UV errors (around his beard there were unwrapped polygons), but these may be my fault… when I imported him into Blender, his UV seams along the model were actually separated and he was made up of mesh shells. So I fused the model and made him water-tight, which may have destroyed some UV’s. So, I’ve optimized and condensed the UV set. Now It’s time for painting!

I’ve decided to start procedural in Substance Painter with the light baking filters before moving to 3D coat. The idea here is to take a cartoon character to a very high level of detail while keeping him obviously stylized. I love this stuff… this model is very enjoyable work so far. :slight_smile: