[ENDED] Sketchfab Voxel Challenge: The Ruins

Hello all! Here's where you can post your WIPs for the new Voxel Challenge, theme The Ruins, offer constructive critique, or just get inspired!

To enter, be sure to add the #VoxelRuinsChallenge tag to your scene.

(Moyicat) #2

Thinking about creating a voxel Temple Run scene

(Pallavi Maruvada) #3

Ooh this is very exciting! I'm thinking about creating a scene inspired by the Angkor Wat Temple ruins in Cambodia!

(Patrix) #4

Decided to upload this for the contest because I've already build it a few months back, so why the heck not? haha

First time using a dual uv channel method. Used the overlapped block uv with better res-per-block texture for diffuse and normal map, and fully unwrapped uv to bake the glow(light+fog) and ao map. Saved a ton of texture file size this way. Also added a few blocky clouds(not really sure if it's good or not) and animated hovering fireballs just for fun.

(Moyicat) #5

Whoa that looks great!

(Moyicat) #6

Quick sketch for the basic Temple Run map

Currently, it's a 4 x 4 x 4 space with 16 x 16 x 16 low def blocks. The idea is to make each construction block 64 x 64 x 64 and assemble them together in Blender.

Let me know what you all think!

(Nomadking) #7

It's a great topic. I'm really looking forwards to seeing what everyone comes up with :smiley:

(Pallavi Maruvada) #8

woah! that looks amzing!!!

(Catherineconsiglio) #9

Looks great, but only new work is allowed for the challenge according to the rules :wink:

(Catherineconsiglio) #10

Decided to give voxels a try. (I'm a sculptor so this is a little out of my comfort zone.)

Made this in Zbrush and Blender.

(Patrix) #11

Well, it depends on their definition of "new work". This was a months-old minecraft build sure, but I cleaned it up (the original had other buildings connected to it) and convert it to 3d models just for this sketchfab upload. I've also added new baked lighting/shadow/fog effects to it and the animated clouds+fireballs. Also I've never uploaded this build to sketchfab before, so it is a new piece of work to sketchfab, not just a reupload/resubmit.

But if they think this counts as a old work and against the challenge rules, it's fine by me. No hard feelings :smiley:

(Patrix) #12

Btw, you could try changing the transparency mode for your water material to blending or additive, might look better than the dithering effect you have now.

(Alex) #13

Hello, I am again with my cellular automata experiments (with help of MagicaVoxel and Blender for design and export)

(Alex) #14

Yet another try, bigger model:

UPDATE:

(Exm59) #15

That's a nice challenge, old ruins is the perfect subject for trying some voxel modeling... can't wait to see other people's creation, may try one too... maybe some lost temple in the jungle (another great indiana jones scene ^__^)

(Radio Hate) #16

Hi all, it’s my version of abandoned temple of computing technologies

(Exm59) #17

Hey there, impressive works are already popping all around!
Here's my contribution, with a WIP of an old civilization temple (raw untextured and unfinished model), made with Magicavoxel. Next steps are adding details, making it look undiscovered with the addition of vegetation, then texturing the whole scene.
I'll post more WIP soon!

(Saomai99992) #18

woah! that looks amzing!!!

(Bart) #19

How's everyone doing? I'm seeing some very cool designs here and I'm very much looking forward to next week when we get to pick the winner :slight_smile:

Remember: the deadline is Monday night!

(Alex) #20

New version of my "sandy castle"