Expanding the use of annotations

annotations
viewer-api

(Miekeroth) #1

Hi there,

I use sketchfab mostly for anatomy models, so I don't know if anyone else is interested in what I am searching for, but I would like to use the annotations to add additional text (or images) to a page that has an embedded model. That way, if anyone clicks on a specific annotation I can make it interactive. Is this already embedded in the api or is it something the developers are looking into?

(Bart) #2

Hi Mieke,

so as a more generic description, you would like to have a mechanism that would fire an event whenever you select a specific annotation? You could then use that event to update the page outside the embed?

(Miekeroth) #3

yes, that is basically it. Would be useful for a lot of other stuff too.

(Mauricesvay) #4

Being able to link to a specific annotation on a model is on our wishlist. Providing a way to access them via the Viewer API would also make sense.

(Clearcreekmedia) #5

Very new to Sketchfab, but I came across this topic and am very interested. We would instantly use an API feature where we could fire events after selecting an annotation, and/or click an external button to bring the viewer to an annotation that contains more than just a simple text description

I see this hasn't been revisited in months... has this made it onto the roadmap by any chance?

(Mauricesvay) #6

@clearcreekmedia the annotation API is actually implemented now, but it's broken at the moment. We're doing our best to fix it. Here are the list of functions available in the Viewer API: https://sketchfab.com/developers/viewer/functions

(Clearcreekmedia) #7

Awesome! Thank you! Hopefully you are able to get the API fixed soon. We will begin uploading models and playing with the API functions next week if possible!

(Miekeroth) #8

I wanted to write a new post but I forgot I already wrote this one :wink: I got a related question: can I use the api to do it the other way around also? So having text on a page and the viewer goes to the annotation if that text is clicked?

(Miekeroth) #9

Hi,

I've been looking at this example: https://labs.sketchfab.com/experiments/annotations-sync/
It looks great, but I am looking for a way to automatically let this work in wordpress. Is there such way? I have been able to set up the viewer api in wordpress (I am able to add javascript and such), but I would really want to be able to add functionality like this to my blog.