Sketchfab Forum

Exporter Error in Max: dotNet Runtime Exception

exporter
3dsmax

(Adamcrockett) #1

Any idea what this error is? The exporter normally works flawlessly.

@klaasnienhuis any idea? looks similar to something we discussed last week.

(Klaasnienhuis) #3

@adamcrockett,
The error message suggestes the connection between the script and the sketchfab API is severed somehow. Is the upload speed exceptionally slow or is the model you're uploading very big? It might be caused by a timeout. And does this happen consistently? Or just this once?

(Adamcrockett) #4

It's not an especially large model. I manually uploaded it here. It's only ever happened on this model.

Later on I uploaded this model just fine.

(Richardlockett) #5

Hi Both,

I've had this sameerror message a lot recently - i'm not if the cause is the same however I've noticed since i updated the 3ds max exporter this happens more often and seems to be related to file size - when i check the temporary files the exporter has zipped up more scene assets than it needs to, including high res tif images i use for textures, final gather files and even hdri maps from the scene environment, this bumping the file size for even small scenes up past the upload limit, causing the error message. Klaas have you noticed this? @klaasnienhuis

(Klaasnienhuis) #6

That's a good find Richard. I'll need to look into that.

(Klaasnienhuis) #7

Hi @richardlockett, if you send me an offending file including textures I'd be happy to investigate. You can send me a download link through a PM here on the forum.

(Klaasnienhuis) #8

Hi @richardlockett, I've found one source of large files: the material editors. The exporter will collect all assets present in the file, also ones which aren't used. If you clear the views in the slate material editor and also the sample slots in the compact material editor, your publish size should be smaller.