Facebook live preview not working

(3 D Tensn) #1

I just noticed all the links I've shared with facebook now send you to the sketchfab site and no longer provide a live view while on the FB page. Is this an error. Thanks

(Dark Minaz) #2

copy the link, wait a few seconds and it should give a preview still. but if you press enter to quick it sometimes doesn't work. "facebook magic"

(Alex Nan) #3

so it's not only me.. I`ve noticed this a few weeks ago. You think that solves it ? If you wait 2-5 seconds before posting it on FB ?

(Dark Minaz) #4

i open the facebook post thing, enter the link, wait until it's processed, add text, hit enter
that works most of the times :slight_smile:
https://www.facebook.com/darkminazdesigns/ some of them loose the image sadly, not sure what's causing that sometimes though

(3 D Tensn) #5

I did notice some lost the image, But also older posts that had the live preview, now only open in a new window..

(Dark Minaz) #6

hmm works fine for me, would be interesting what browser you use on facebook and some links to those posts to maybe figure out why it behaves that way :slight_smile:

(3 D Tensn) #7

I'm using Chrome, Not sure of the best way to share the posts here. Any suggestions. I did notice If I refresh attachment on the posts with broken images they now display the picture, but still no live preview. Thanks

(Dark Minaz) #8

Just Tested it with crome and it did work for me with a facebook embed.
So pressing the button in the middle just doesn't work and sends you to sketchfab directly .. very odd

@james might have a few more tips or way to figure out how to fix the issue.

Facebook has been testing things for several weeks now. It doesn't affect all users or model links, but it's definitely something on their end.

(3 D Tensn) #10

Thanks for the update!!

(Alex Nan) #11

I`m using FB app, latest updates on iPhone 6s/ also win 10 latest updates, Edge browser. Some old models work ok, the newer ones open a new window with Sketchfab :confused: some of them don't even show the thumbnail/ picture of the model, it's only a broken image.

The expected behavior in the mobile app has always been opening in a new window.

(Alex Nan) #13

Is there something we can do to change it ? The preview picture doesn't show also :confused: Like for the older* models where they open in the same window. For me, it would be much better to see the preview thumbnail and click play if I like it. Some people are afraid* of new windows

(Alex Nan) #14

I checked your models and they work fine on PC. Some are without preview, but they don't take you to a new window.
I also noticed that you leave the link inside the post (could this be something that would let it open in the same window ? )

(Dark Minaz) #15

hmm no clue really, it's on facebooks side of the issue i think, maybe it does. Sadly facebook often just does things however it wants.
Best would be to try it out and see if that works for you. almost all the links i see from sketchfab seem to work on my system without taking me to another page

(Alex Nan) #16

hmm could it be linked to cache ? some ghost files stored on users pc, if you have been there once it works straight on the window, if not it opens a new one with all the data*

They have a few tools to rescrape links: https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/205642585-Facebook#cache