Fastest way to get textured Blender Cycles files into Sketchfab?

blender

(Cs Chris) #1

Hi There. Great service this Sketchfab, and tailored to so many 3D packages. Truly amazing.

With Blender, I'm wondering... what is the absolute fastest way, with the least amount of time and manual labor, to get a rendered object into Sketchfab?

I have 20+ Blender models, each with 30-40 objects. They are all textured properly to render in Blender. But not baked because usually I don't need to do that.

To get into Sketchfab, I've baked each object to a new image texture, uploaded all objects and image textures into Sketchfab, and then re-assigned the materials to each object in Sketchfab (what I'm calling post-processing).

Looks good but this will take way too long to do all the parts I need! :wink:

That's just the first way I found to do it.
What is the quickest method, please? Without any "post-processing"? Any ideas?

(Shaderbytes) #2

you can duplicate your model blend file , so you wont mess up your model set up for cycles rendering. Then in the duplicate you can switch to BI rendering. Then go onto the materials inspector and remove "use nodes" so the material reverts to a usable state for BI , then add the texture to your material targeting diffuse influence. Now if you use the blender addon it will upload all the textures for each material automatically.

Of coarse this is not much of a time saver , there is no silver bullet approach here , 20+ models with ~40 objects means lots of content management , you cant escape that reality.

hth

(Chaitanyak) #3

ok heres the stuff that i found will/won't work:

• Blender Cycles scene uploaded via the blender addon.. textures and lighting does not get uploaded.
  • Blender Cycles scene uploaded via sketchfab website.. textures and lighting does not get uploaded.
    (even when you pack the textures in the blend)
  • Blender Cycles scene + textures zipped and uploaded via the sketchfab website.. textures get uploaded. Lighting doesn't

in my experience material properties do not get uploaded ever.

• Blender Internal scene uploaded via the blender addon.. textures get uploaded.
  • Blender Internal scene uploaded via sketchfab website.. textures and some approximation of lighting gets uploaded(sketchfab only supports 3 lights per scene).
    (only when you pack the textures in the blend)
  • Blender Internal scene + textures zipped and uploaded via the sketchfab website.. textures and some approximation of lighting gets uploaded

(Cs Chris) #4

then add the texture to your material targeting diffuse influence.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what is meant by this (because I'm new to this, and haven't used the BI materials yet)

(Cs Chris) #5

Thanks for your replies!

So am I hearing it correctly - that Blender Cycles materials are not supported by Sketchfab? And that I need to texture all my objects in Blender's internal renderer for them to upload to Sketchfab without baking?

Otherwise can render in Cycles but will always have to bake each object for it to work?

(Shaderbytes) #6

you need to get a grasp of the difference between the two platforms.Using the BI setup in blender just means further support for automatic texture uploading. In does not mean it converts materials you created in a offline renderer to be perfect for sketchfab. You have to engineer your setup and textures in a manner consistent with the realtime rendering on sketchfab.

There is no consistency between other real time platforms like Unity Engine or unreal Either. For each platform you simply have to learn how they expect things to be set up and then engineer your project towards that. For example in Unity for Metal PBR you have to use a single texture where rgb defines the metalness amount and the alpha channel defines the gloss of that metal.

As I mentioned in the previous message , there is no way to avoid the work required to move things between platforms as you hoped.

Feel free to post links to your models once you have some uploaded and setup :wink:

(Cs Chris) #7

Hmm... ok.

It's starting to dawn on me - it's like a whole project of its own to get these models online, even after you have beautifully textured and rendered them using Cycles.

I think I was thinking of it like creating a document in Word. You just save as PDF and put that online, and anyone can view it straight away. Not the case with 3D textured models. Much more complex.

Cycles is great for rendering animation and stills.
Sketchfab is great for real time rendering online, which has different material/lighting requirements.

Thank you both for helping explain the reality of the situation and the work required.

(Lord00120) #8

That being said, your scene is pretty huge, is it like a level with several characters? Because other people with your dillema (I think) usually just pick parts of their scene, like one character for example, and then optimize and upload to sketchfab :slight_smile:

(Cs Chris) #9

Ha! No characters and no levels :slight_smile:

Hi @lord00120. I'm a product designer and want to upload the product designs of the company I work for. There's at least 20 different models and each has around 40 parts. So was looking for the most streamlined approach.

Seems like the best way is to bake the diffuse models, and then texture the glossy metals in Sketchfab. (Since cannot bake glossy materials, apparently).

At first that seemed like duplication of effort (texturing in Cycles to get the rendered image, then texturing again in Sketchfab to post online). But now I know it's just part of the workflow.

Thanks for your comments!

(Mhazani) #10

Your questions and discoveries are super helpful since I had the exact same ones:). Thanks!

(Mnilionic) #11

Another option is to join all the parts of the model and bake the necessary maps in Cycles (diffuse, speculare, normals, etc.) and use these maps to quickly create a blender internal material.

(Pauljs75) #12

Late to the discussion, but it'd be nice if somebody on the Sketchfab crew could make a custom node-group material in Blender Cycles that would have all the key properties on the input sockets that would correspond to material settings on Sketchfab. Doing it that way, it should be possible to tag values with names that Sketchfab would know how to parse when a file is uploaded.

Imagine just downloading a material that you could throw on your Blender models and have all the values recognized here after using it. (The material would have all the texture slots if you wanted them, but could also have RGB or values as appropriate alternates.) As it is now, you still have to go over everything at least twice just to make sure it's all working.

I'd think this could be possible with a bit of planning and some programming cleverness.

(Lewis2e) #13

Very, very late to the discussion, however, I have developed an add-on with exporting to Sketchfab as my primary motivation. Essentially, it’s a one-click solution for baking out PBR textures from Blender materials.

Available here. Also on Gumroad.