FBX importing problem (video)

animation
3d
upload

(Distance880) #1

Okay so I made a video to demonstrate the problem I'm having. When I upload the ,obj version, and test the normal map on the model, it displays correctly, everything looks great!

When i try to upload and test the normal map on the FBX version, I cant even describe whats wrong with it, it's not a problem with the normal, i think, it honestly looks like the smooth shading is inverted. I'm including every file, the .blend file and both the .obj and the .fbx animated versions. This problem keeps coming up for me with sketchfab over and over and over and I can never find a solution. If i load the .fbx into any other software, 3d programs, substance paint, ect, it works fine. Its killing me that i cant solve this. I cant even find instances of other people having this problem. I keep having to abandon projects because of this.

heres the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX0DSyGKh84

heres the files i was working with

(Stephomi) #2

Thanks for the detailed report.
The shading is indeed inverted, it's "probably" because of the morph,

We'll look into it.

(Distance880) #3

I used shapekeys/keyframes to animate it. Is there a way to animate it that won't break it? I'm really inexperienced/novice with animating. T_T

(Mrchlblng) #4

hey @distance880,

we currently enforce normals smoothing for morph animation (as we've had a bunch of samples that would be badly shaded otherwise). We had a bug in there that is idientified and should be fixed in our next 'release'.
Note though that the shading will not be exactly the same as your input fbx. We might change our policy in the future and try to only fix bad normals (instead of enforcing all of them) but in the meantime the shading should be more acceptable.

(Distance880) #5

What can I do differently in the mean time? What method of animation will work for blender and blender's fbx export, if not morph animations?

(Mrchlblng) #6

The fix should be live next week.
For this model, I tend to think that solid animation could be an option