[FINAL] Vikings ⚔️ - Thor and the Midgard Serpent 🐍

(Matthijs de Rijk) #1

After 60 hours of hard work, and dedication, the scene is finally complete. I've really pushed myself to create as much detail and variety as possible. All the weapons, and most of the shields, the characters are all different. Everything has been touched by hand In an effort to reduce automation and create a most authentic work.

Story is very important to me and my work. Especially in the little things. Small details that make you ask questions about how it came to be. One big challenge was composition. With a crowded scene with big and small objects, composition was utterly important. Yet the principals of 2D visuals don't directly apply. Balance, flow, direction, color choice were all thought of extensively to build the scene in it's best way possible.

The choice of subject was quite clear to me, though bigger in scope when starting. The first plan was to create a threeway parallel scene of Vikings, Knights and Samurai, fighting a Serpent, European Dragon and Asian Dragon respectively. But when I scaled it down, other ideas came to mind. More mythology, and so Thor entered the scene, then the mermaids arrived to pick of the easy prey. The more I worked on this, the more details I wanted to put in.

I had a lot of fun making this :slight_smile: And I really enjoy seeing the works of others.

Collection with Pieces:

Thor and the Midgard Serpent by MrEmjeR on Sketchfab

And here just the characters:

Thor and the Midgard Serpent Characters by MrEmjeR on Sketchfab

(Matthijs de Rijk) #2

For Work In Progress see this: [WIP] Vikings :crossed_swords:️ - Thor and the Midgard Serpent :snake:

(Lakos) #3

Great job!

(Matthijs de Rijk) #4

Thank you! Your scene is awesome too!

(Ra3id) #5

Incredible design and personality!