[Finished] Azazel's tower

maya
3d

(Lorenzoderijcke) #1

Hi I'm Lorenzo de Rijcke (Sketchfab/portfolio)
and I am starting a new environment scene.

I want to create a 3D environment scene for this Azazel the wizard.
V2:

updated sketch with moodboard of the tower so far.
I took inspiration from treehouses/towers and movies like the king arthur movie from Disney.

with keeping the backstory in mind I created a new version
I deconstructed the tower more and replaced sections with boulders and resources that are kept in place with arcane magic. I added signs and spells to keep travelers away from the tower. and I made the overal look more grimm, so that it fits with the updated wizard concept.

as well as listing some of the furniture I could add in and around the tower

I'm open for suggestions and extra reference or tips.

Update 11/3/2016

added a backstory about Azazel the wizard and his tower to determine the look of the tower more, and updated the concept art of the wizard and tower.

the story:

The wizards Tower background story.pdf (227.4 KB)

22/3/2016 Update
final model of azazel's tower, next up is uv-ing and texturing of my environment.

4/9/2016 Update
Texturing is finished, nearing completion of the model.

Azazel's Tower Final by TonedCube on Sketchfab

cheers :smile:

Need help with Crystal texture creation
Sketchfab re-upload model problems
(Bart) #2

What's his story? He looks kind of old and the black nails suggest he's an evil wizard? What happened to make him like this and how does he spend his days now?

A little backstory might help you 'discover' new details of your scene :smile:

I rather like the liftable cauldron, but again I think there should be a hint to its purpose?

(Lorenzoderijcke) #3

I have added a bit of backstory to provide a more solid backbone to the environment. thanks for the tip @bartv :smile:

(Bart) #4

Fantastic! And did you find that it helped you think about your character?

(Lorenzoderijcke) #5

yes it actually did, because i made the wizard just from imagination and reference, so there were no real reasons to things like why his nails were black, or why his robes were blue. so while I was thinking of a backstory I was able to create a more solid wizard that fitted the story rather than the story that would fit the existing art. Now it is a character and environment that has a story behind it and it feels more united so to speak.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #6

12/3/2016 update

uploaded first version of the 3D environment.

more coming soon,

(Lorenzoderijcke) #7

14/3/2016 Update

started working on some of the furniture and assets for the environment, and made a few changes to the overall structure of the tower.

for a quick reference I added a block resembling the height of the wizard character to keep track of the different sizes and proportions of the assets.

feedback and tips are welcome and more coming soon,

(Nomadking) #8

It's coming along nicely. A few loose bricks floating around the broken section might be a nice addition :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #9

thank you for the feedback :smile: By the broken section you mean the hole in the middle part of the tower or at the bottom of the floating room ?

(Nomadking) #10

Both to be honest! :smile:

He doesn't seem like the kind of wizard who worries about making his spells perfect. If he happens to levitate a few extra bricks, plants... the occasional dog while fixing his tower - so be it! :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #11

you seem to have met him before haha :stuck_out_tongue: I will add them later thanks again

(Lorenzoderijcke) #12

update
here is a picture of the added floating blocks @nomadking

and i have uploaded a newer version of the 3D model here

(Lorenzoderijcke) #13

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post, had some other stuff to do.
But here is a update on my work.

21/3/2016 Update
In the attached photo you can see a close up of the wizards outdoor work station, at the base of the tower.

But now I want to add more typical items that can be associated with wizardry and arcane magic.
as always suggestions and feedback is welcome and appreciated or if you have some reference that you would like to share.

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers :smile:

(Nomadking) #14

You could probably spend all day just adding more and more random things to his work area, but unless your going to add that level of detail to the rest of the scene, it'll look a bit unbalanced - what you have now is great :smile:

The one change I might make would be to add an item to the back of the empty worktop on the right. Something that stands out from the rest of the things - a skull, a crystal, small cauldron, small cage, a globe... just a few suggestions :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #15

Hi all,

I can inform you that I have finished my model and will start on UV-ing and texturing next.

here you can see the final model, there is room for optimization but that will be addressed during the
Uv-ing process.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #16

Hi all a small update,

started working on my textures, right now i'm working towards a art style like Diablo 3, but I might change the art style later into something more stylized looking like for instance environment from WoW

Both styles can work with the model, but for now i'm trying to create 1 or 2 textures in each styles and compare them to see which one suits best.

The ground and bridge are textured right now,

This is a screenshot from a Unreal Engine 4 Scene where I use a water material to point out where the water will be.

The last picture is a overview of my scene as it is right now.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #17

update 1/4/2016

hi all :smile:
more progress on the textures and re-uploaded my 3D model

thank you for the feedback @essimoon and @nomadking I have incorporated the gradient with transparency material on the crystal

(Lorenzoderijcke) #18

Hi All,

Textures, textures and some more textures :smile:
I am almost finished with the texturing, the only thing left to texture is the floating chamber.
here are some screenshots.

for the floating blocks I wanted to show that they were being suspended by magic so I experimented a bit with transparency/emission on the blocks material but then it looked like this.

So now I only have the transparency active which looks like this.

the blocks with emission look cool but then they take away the attention to the rest of the environment, I am not sure how I can make them look suspended with magic yet. maybe somebody has a answer to this.

And last but not least I updated the sketchfab model with the new textures as well.

(Dark Minaz) #19

starting to look really cool.
I guess for the floating stones you could create a flat texture with some "magic orbs" that hold the things as one, and give that to the whole building to kinda show the magic.
as reference my fav floating concept
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/7/70/WoW5Y_-_Dalaran_Concept_by_Peter_Lee_2008.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091219095040

Currently the cristal kinda pops out a bit to much. maybe a bit more light could help that out. and a bit of ao on the big textures.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #20

Yeah I looked at those floating discs while I was creating the concept sketches but forogot about them along the way, thanks for the reminder :smile: as for the ao how can I achieve that ? I normally create them in software called xNormal or maya itself but then I always had a high and low poly object in which I baked the high res onto the low ress uv space. Could you explain it to me please @dark_minaz