(Finished!) Kiki's Delivery Service - Kiki Animation Test

Hi all!

My latest project was inspired by all of the neat anime/“hand drawn” models I’ve seen on the site, as well as this excellent video talking about how ArcSystems made 3D characters look and feel 2D in their latest fighting games. I wanted to try to see if I could do something similar and try to make Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service and see if I could similarly animate her as she was in the movie. Oh, and make my first actual face and face rig. Might be a little ambitious… :grimacing:

Here’s where I am so far - head model is for our intents and purposes, done, though I’ll likely tweak some things here and there while rigging. Originally I was going to use textures for the eyes and mouth, but I decided to swap everything out for geo since Sketchfab doesn’t support animated textures.

Any feedback is always appreciated!

Been a while since I updated…

Finally finished the eyes for now! Here’s some expression tests:

Time to do the mouth next!

1 Like

Another quick update! Starting to figure out the mouth. Here’s a quick test:

Kiki is getting tired of this, though, so I better finish this up quick…

1 Like

As I have been working on the mouth, I have been trying to match poses that I have found in the movie, like this one:

It’s getting close, but there’s still plenty about it that doesn’t quite match up, like the silhouette of the hair, how the face is squished a little bit, and even where the eyes are looking (that has been trickier than i was expecting!) Of course, I kind of expected this; creating in 2D and 3D are very different.

I am planning on trying to address a couple of these in the rig, but then I think it will be time to move on and try animating a shot with her — that’s the part I am most excited for!

2 Likes

Kiki is done!!

Unfortunately for various reasons, I couldn’t get the animation onto Sketchfab - but I do have a static pose to check out:
Kiki Face – Kiki’s Delivery Service by cwasden on Sketchfab

Hope you enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before I wrapped this up, I wanted to do one more shot of Kiki:

kiki_shot_b

Here’s the clip that I was matching to

Thanks for taking a look! Time to move on to something new…

1 Like