From a scan to a low poly model

(Louis) #1

Hello!

I'm used to do a lot of scanning, and I love low poly artworks. So I thought, what if I could turn my scans low poly?

By turning a scan low poly I mean:
1. Decimating the mesh (there is already a good resource for that here)
2. Decimating the texture by applying the average color value on each polygon

I have a hard time finding a good tuto on how to achieve the step 2. Would you have any recommendation?

Thank you!
Louis

(Louis) #2

Actually, we found with James a first answer. We gave it a try with my 3D reconstruction of the scan of Barack Obama.

Barack Obama by Louis on Sketchfab

I decimated the model with Meshlab, and then played with the filter gallery of Photoshop (Cutout) to simplified the texture. Pretty cool, but could be better! Would still love to hear your insights on how to apply an average color to each polygon.

Barack Obama by Louis on Sketchfab

(Bart) #3

Is there a way to 'bake' the texture to face colors in MeshLab? Not vertex colors - those would still be interpolated across the faces. If you want to go for the 'hard' low-poly look you'll need face colors.

(Wu Wu Wu) #4

Hey louis,
I've had some success with using the Kubist web app by William Ngan to treat the texture map.

This is the Winnie the Pooh model I decimated using MeshLab and Kubist:
Original:

Post-Kubist:

Post-decimation to 2.5% in MeshLab:

hope this helps

(Wu Wu Wu) #5

The main issue with mine was the Pooh I downloaded came from a 3D scan with a snapshot(?) technique where it compiled the texture map bits in a less than optimal/efficient way, creating some messy edges where bits of the map met each other with some overlaps.

I'd like some tips on optimizing the texture map from a 3D scan.