Game Ready Spider

(Jason Ivens) #1

Hi everyone,

As part of my course I need to make a game ready spider with animations including; idle, walk, jump, attack and maybe a few more :smile:

I have made a very basic mesh for the spider so i can get started on all the animation and then I can swap the mesh over to the more advanced one at a later stage.

Here is my first work in progress, I started with the walk animation.

WIP Spider Walk by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #2

After some helpful feedback here is the improved walk cycle.

WIP Spider Walk 02 by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

I am going to start on the death animation now :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #3

That was quicker than I was expecting :smile:
Here is the death animation

WIP Spider Death by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #4

Spider attack :smile:

WIP Spider Attack by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #5

Spider Jump :smile:

Spider Jump by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

I think that's all I'll do for now, please feel free to give me feedback, good or bad its all welcome :smile:

(Bart) #6

I think it'll be easier to see the quality of the animation if you put a floor below the models and add a little shadow. Right now it's hard to see if the feet are touching the ground and how they interact with it.

(Jason Ivens) #7

Thanks that will make it look better. I will add that on Monday when I get a chance to get back into it :smile:
I do have a question for you; how can I get all the animations into one model on Skerchfab?

(Bart) #8

That depends on your 3D app - you can export multiple animation 'tracks' to FBX and we'll display them separately.

(Jason Ivens) #9

I use 3ds Max 2015, I can also get other programs if there is one that does it better :smile:
Is there a tutorial for doing it? I would love to see it :smile:

(Blackhart) #10

For something like this you may also want to disable the environment background in Sketchfab. Under the "Lighting" tab of your 3D settings, you'll see a box that says "replace background" with a little switch. Turn off that switch and you get a static plain background you can set in the "Scene". You'll still get the lighting from the environment, but you'll get a static background. The environment can be a little distracting at times. And I also think a ground plane would be a great idea.

(Dark Minaz) #11

Kill it with fire and more fire ..

To be honest I've never seen a spider jump (aside from spiderman) so i am not quite sure if there is something wrong with it.
But it looks like movements that could be real.

Just a question though, why is there no texture on the spider? pretty sure some colors/textures would help see the animation better and make it look nicer at the same time.

For your question, this one is for game engines but i assume it works for sketchfab too (didn't try the animation part yet so i can't really say for sure)

(Jason Ivens) #12

Thanks for the advice I will get onto that today :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #13

I totally agree with you about killing it with fire, the game I am making gives the player the chance to kill wave after wave of spiders with an assortment of weapons like a lighter with aerosol spray :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #14

Idle:

WIP Spider Idle by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

Walk:

WIP Spider Walk by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

Jump:

WIP Spider Jump by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

Attack:

WIP Spider Attack by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

Death:

WIP Spider Death by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

(Dark Minaz) #15

The spider death animation looks a bit to consistent, give some of the legs another timing and add a twitch in the end.

But it looks better with the plane under it, helps a it to see how it moves.
I quite like the walk animation, looks nice how you made each part move a bit.

(Simon Kratz) #16

Nice progress there! Imo the overall motion in your animations looks a bit too linear though. Most movements of living creatures have some accentuation and emphasis on the key poses.
Do you know the 12 principles of animation? They give a great start to do characteristic animations and are basic know of of every animation, vfx and motion artist :smile:

You should think about building your animations with these principles in mind. Not like a strict rule but more as a way of how to approach things. I'm sure you'll see a great improvement in the quality/time ratio.

(Jason Ivens) #17

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions guys, I did not have as much time as I wanted to to work on the assets for my game as it was a school project the deadline came around to quick so I had to leave it and move on.
For anyone that is interested this is what my game prototype ended up looking like :smile: