General question - is Sketchfab the right tool for me?

website

(Mwalter) #1

Hello,
I have been referred by a friend, who said Sketchfab might be what I could use for my project. I am so far very impressed with what I've seen, but wondering if I could currently or in a future version of Sketchfab implement it.

I have a simple case: my script generates a 3d model of a large organic molecule, and it would be nice to display this model in the results section of my webserver. The webserver takes user input and generates the model based on that input, so the model must by uploaded dynamically or I could host the source files myself. The resulting 3d models must not be publicly viewable, as they may contain confidential information.

So far I have only seen manual upload through the site after logging in, which might still be an option as I can still make the models available for dowload, but I feel it surpasses the goal of publishing to others online if they need to upload it in their own account (they could as well use their own 3d viewer software then).

I have been charmed with the graphics and the interface, low system resources and no downloaded plugin. I would therefore ask if now or in the future my needs regarding this application are met by Sketchfab. And, if after all the answer to that should be no, if perhaps you could direct me to any possible alternative method by which I might achieve this functionality?

Thank you kindly,

(Mauricesvay) #2

Hello @mwalter,

If you need more information, let us know.

(Vak) #3

@mwalter thanks for the great question

@mauricesvay I am fine with programming and thinking of programmatical output of the molecule's 3D-model. As for complete newbies in 3D modelling -- what format could you recommend for the representation of molecules?

I have played with different 3D molecule tools in the past, such as PyMOL, VMD, UCSF Chimera (actually has an upload to Sketchfab feature in one of the builds).

The results work in various formats (VRML, Collada, FBX) but they tend to be a but heavy for realtime rendering because they export geometries and materials inefficiently. It can be solved with more software (including programmatically with meshlab server, for example)

It's been a long time since I looked into it, but was getting some decent results from protein database models.