Getting Transparency Within Textures in Glass

transparency
textures

(Diggingi95) #1

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forums; I was hoping that someone may have ran into the same tissues as myself or may have a solution to this problem.

I am trying to get transparency within a glass piece, but have it so that it does not completely lose the forms that are on the glass itself. The piece is a small glass with a blue/green tint. This piece also has text and faces molded into it. We are trying to keep the outlines of the faces and text visible.

We are using textures from the piece. We've edited the alphas a number of times; trying to darken and lighten the texture to see if this had any type of effect. Also, edited a number of options in the 3D settings. We still haven't reached what we were hoping to get. The following are photos of the actual piece and a render of the piece 3D scanned and textured.

As you can tell we are getting a small amount of outline around the text and face, but it's not as strong as we'd like.

If anyone has any information on how to get the outlines/forms more visible, it would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

(Shaderbytes) #2

where is the link to the model?

(Diggingi95) #4

The model can be found in the following link:

(Nebulousflynn) #5

This is a very tricky task!

Some ideas:

• Is this the only resolution scan you have? A higher res version might show the details better.
  • are you able to accentuate or indicate the detail by adding in some extra geometry using some 3D software?
  • have you tried strong key lighting? i.e. lighting at right angles to the subject from left and right?
  • perhaps splitting the materials in two for the inside and outside of the bottle an making the inner surface more transparent might help

Tom