Glass and Reflectivity (Audi R8)

(Scottneb) #1

I'm creating this thread in case anyone has tips for how to tackle reflectivity and glass in particular.

I've heard it said or read it written in very dismissive ways, that all you've got to do when photographing glass or highly reflective surfaces, is dust it with talc powder, take a smoke-machine to it for a little while, or hit it with hairspray.

Yeah, tell that to the owner of a car that costs over half a million dollars: bit.ly/2fzAaiD

The owner of a car that costs over a million and a half: bit.ly/2fVTcnz

The owner of a helicopter worth $10 million: bit.ly/2fVVcMF

The owner of a $30 million airliner: bit.ly/2fy9HU2 ---and--- bit.ly/2ey7XYB

OR, tell it to the owner of a car that is beyond value: bit.ly/2fueLs5

The solution needs to be in how the images are taken and how they're processed (prior to and while within the photogrammetry software).

I ain't dusting no LaFerrari.

Scott

(Alban) #2

@R0m1R any tips for @scottneb?

(Michael On) #3

Hello!, I think to some extent it can help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

(Scottneb) #4

Yes absolutely. I use polarizing filters a lot to reduce or eliminate glare. When I refer to putting on a filter, a polarizing filter is the primary one I was referring to.

Problem is, different angled surfaces always lead to the filter not 'getting' all of the reflection. Sometimes this is actually a good thing because a polarizing filter can either let you choose whether to see into a car through the glass or (like on a cloudy day), give an interesting frosted look.

But... neither of those will give a look that's reminiscent of the real world. I'm not against polarizing, I do it to an extent, for almost every car that I photograph but too many angles on a car and you've got to choose which you want to reflect and which you don't.