Good Poly Count for 32 Bit Mobile Devices

(JERSIED) #1

I’m building a new model that needs to run relatively smoothly on mass market android 32 bit devices.

What would be a good poly count to aim for?

Plan on having an idle animation... don’t mind if it dips below 30fps, but don’t want it to chug.

(Dark Minaz) #2

Id say max 30k poly / 1 4k texture, there are some really old androids that might have issues otherwise :slight_smile: phone spectrum is huge sadly. My old phone couldn't handle anything over 10k (really old) and my new one can handle 1mio models without big issues.

(JERSIED) #3

Thanks for the recommendation.

(JERSIED) #4

Just noticed that Sketchfab uses "Vertices" to determine the complexity of a model. Is there a conversion of poly count to vertices or is it a bit of a muddy calculation?

(Dark Minaz) #5

Geometry
6.6k Quads Number of quad faces
212 Triangles Number of triangle faces
13.4k converted to Triangles Number of faces
Vertices

it shows quads and tris for my models :open_mouth:

We updated our processing recently to report more details about the geometry, so old models need to be re-processed to display poly count correctly. I just triggered your models to be re-processed, so they should all be ready soon.

(JERSIED) #7

Results from my current model:
23.9k Quads Number of quad faces
450 Triangles Number of triangle faces
48.2k converted to Triangles

So I'm assuming I add those numbers up for a total poly count.

So I'm at 72.5 K polygons?

Apologies for being a luddite.

(JERSIED) #8

Just tried this 29k poly model on a few 32 bit android devices (Samsung J3 and a LG Aristo): https://sketchfab.com/models/db20d6b3e64e4841a8eb5424309ae0ff

Chugged like CRAZY!

(Shaderbytes) #9

there is no win win situation here, i have a mid range android several years old and even that has a 8 core 64 bit cpu.

anyway it is the phone gpu that very matters here mostly only some things will be cpu bound like perhaps vertice tranformations( animation ), like I said there is no win win. You cant use the new a shiny on an old device and expect it to work great.. it never will. Downgrading to the point of making your low end market run smoothly will be at the sacrifice of your higher end market. The same visa vera for aiming only for the top. 29k is really not a lot , at best you can build some sniffer in the site that can sniff low end devices and maybe direct such traffic to a simpler model or use 2d only etc..for that you need two models then. you cant downgrade one model to meet all expectations.. somewhere someone will lose then..

(Shaderbytes) #10

ps the model you linked to has 13 textures , VRAM 273mb and 4 post process filters : Sharpen, Vignette, Bloom, and Tone Mapping.

any low end device will take a hit on that

(Maximelebled) #11

Put everything in a single material and stay under 10k triangles especially if you're going to animate it

(Shaderbytes) #12

when it come to animating (skinning ) and you dont have GPU skinning then it is the vertex count that matters more than the poly count because vertices are transformed on the CPU,the amount of polys is not a good reflection on the amount of vertices, and this is what matters with skinning. Keeping a low draw call count and poly count affects the gpu and while this can up or down your performance they are not related to skinning.

(JERSIED) #13

Thanks for the replies folks!

23.9k Quads
450 Triangles
48.2k converted to Triangles

That means that your original model has 23.9 quads + 450 triangles. Although your wireframe will display the quads as quads, there's really no notion of a quad or other polygons in the WebGL viewer. For the purposes of rendering, we have converted everything into triangles (2 triangles per quad). So you have (23.9k * 2) + 450 ≈ 48.2k