Gotta to go fast! My Sonic voxel model

magicavoxel
model
upload
voxel

(Tiagojdferreira) #1

For my second model I decided to make an hommage to my favorite game character as a child, Sonic. You can see more about the creative process in my latest Gotta go fast! My second voxel model.

Here's the model:

(Shaderbytes) #2

he looks great well done. Why not add the ssao post filter? it will do wonders to showing the edges

(Nomadking) #3

He looks awesome! :sunglasses:

+1 to what @shaderbytes said about the SSAO filter. I'd also turn down the specular quite a lot. Too much shine tends to make voxel models look plasticy! :slight_smile:

(Tiagojdferreira) #4

I am sorry for the newbie questions, but what is the specular and to what options does it correspond to in the 3D editor? Added a bit of SSAO. Let me know what you think

(Nomadking) #5

Not a newbie question at all as this is one of those things that has a million names in different systems :stuck_out_tongue: In this case I mean the how shiny the material looks in the lighting, especially if you are using a single value and not a mask for it.

In 3D settings go to the material (s) tab and under 'PBR Maps' set 'Metalness' and 'Specular F0' to 0. Then under 'Roughness/Glossiness' select 'Roughness' to 100. You can of course play with these values a bit to give some shine or reflection to the surface, but with voxels I tend to find less is more to avoid that plastic feeling! :slight_smile:

(Shaderbytes) #6

Just for some further info on what Specular F0 means in the PBR rendering system. It is controlling the IOR ( index of reflection )

This simply means the rate of reflection at specific angles to the surface. As @nomadking pointed out previously in cg this had many names , specular , mirror , gloss etc. But they were not very accurate and bad approximations that did not factor in light absorption.

In PBR and other modern rendering systems there is only one term to define this and that is reflection. All material types have a specific real world IOR that defines their reflection. OF coarse reflection is also affected by micro surface shapes, this makes a reflection be blurred or sharp. This is defined as roughness ( or gloss ) there is no official standard for this in the rendering world the one is just the inverted state of the other and you will notice sketchfab supports both inversions.

Getting back to IOR , you can google it and will find heaps of information of specific IOR values for every different type of matter you get.

matter can be divided into two categories , dielectric ( non metallic ) and metals. You will be surprised here to see that many dielectric materials all fall within a close range of each other in regards to IOR. But to explain it visually lets use a sphere. For most Dielectrics the IOR will cause less reflection at angles close to the view angle and become stronger when approaching the tangent angle , on a sphere that would be the very edges. So the center is weaker and edges stronger. For pure metals The reflection strength is pretty uniform regardless of the angle. Think like a chrome ball.

You can even test this for yourself on sketchfab an observe the results. Notice that if you set the metal slider to full , changing the Specular F0 slider has no effect. This is because of what I mentioned above. So the specular F0 is useful only for dielectrics.

You can use the slider without a texture and it will apply the same value to every pixel of the material or you use a linear black and white texture to control the IOR strength. This is so you can do materials like a painted surface with parts of the paint chapped etc..

Lastly the last thing to know about light with regards to dielectrics and metals is that metal surfaces tint the reflected light while dielectrics ( for the most part ) just reflect the light without affecting the reflection color.

(Nomadking) #7

Thanks for the more in-depth explaination @shaderbytes :wink:

(Pepetrucci) #8

Great voxel model! I love the classic Sonic, and this one captures all the essence :slight_smile: