Heroic Voxels contest FAQ

(Bart) #1

What's the submission deadline?

Entries close Wednesday, February 24.

Does my scene need to purely grid-aligned, or should the scene be in a general 'voxel-style', like this model?

As long as your scene is mainly voxel-orientated, some artistic freedom is fine - it does not need to be 100% grid-aligned.

In terms of tools, are you wanting the main work to be done using a proper voxel editor like MagicaVoxel and something like blender only being used for polish, or can we build our models in another tool as long as it has that voxel "look and feel" to it?

You're free to use any tool you like. We recommend starting off with voxel-specific tools like Qubicle, MagicaVoxel or 3D-Slash, but feel free to use what you're most comfortable with!

Am I allowed to bake light, AO etc?

Absolutely!

Am I allowed to use tools that 'voxelise' 3D models

Yes, although the result often doesn't have the same 'feel' as hand-built voxels. Here are some examples:

Can I submit more than one entry?

Certainly, you can submit as many entries as you like!

Can i do an animation on FBX for the contest ?

Feel free to animate your scene. You won't be getting extra points for animating it, but of course it CAN help make your scene more impressive :smile:

(Done) Epic Voxel Battle
[DONE] Rick's thread for all his Heroic Voxels!
[WIP] Creative Block - Voxel Contest
Heroic Voxels Contest 2016 - The ancient prophecy (finished)
[WIP] Bad Men, Good Deeds
[DONE] Facing The Foe
(DONE) The Guardians
[Done] Between the Darkness... and Light
[WIP] City - Voxel Contest
[WIP] Asylum & Dungeon - Voxel Contest [Done]
[WiP] Defender of the skies
[WIP]Heroic Voxels - The Thaumaturge's Pets
[DONE] The Lost Book
Working title: "Man-who-saves-world-from-destruction"
Heroic Voxels - Waterfall City
Cybernet Under Seige [WIP]
[Finished] Battle of Hoth Voxel Recreation
[WIP] Magical Stronghold
Dragon and Monkey
[Done] Battling the Guardian
DONE // The Fall of the Ivory Kingdom
[WIP] Real World Heroes!
Heroic Voxels - Slime Pit
[WIP] Barbarian meets the Black Knight
[WIP] Castle Attack
[Done] The Stupid Son and the War - [DONE] The Hydra Protector
[WIP]Drugl Lord's Den - [Done]Blood River
[Done] Smash & Grab
[Done] Seattle, 1994
[WIP] wizard tower
[Done]sorcerer's island
[WIP] Witcher fanart Diorama
[WIP] A king to rule them all
Heroic Voxels - The Portals Awaken
Artwork "Eternity" [DONE]
[DONE] - The Late Newbie
[WIP] - Heroic Voxel - The Fall
Floating Island Entry (WIP)
[Done] Through Tides and Thunder
[DONE] Deep water walk
[Done] Burning Soul
[DONE] Princess Akacia- defender of the cube
Voxel Dragon Attack
[Done]For the Glory
WIP Entry: Sword
[Finised] Batwing under city
(WIP) The fellowship -> The Colossus
[WIP] Heroic Voxels- VR Fantasy
[WIP] Heroes with bazooka chase
WIP - underwater shenanigans!
[WIP] Rise - Voxel contest
[DONE] Hero's Sword - Voxel
[WIP] In to the Depths
(Bart) #2

Heroic Voxels Contest 2016: Contest Updates
Heroic Voxels Contest 2016: Contest Updates
(Nomadking) #3

Thanks for the answer @bartv ! Couple of others:

Can we mix voxel scales? Looking to do my main work at one scale, and any effects in a smaller one.

Do we need to stick a pixelated / single colour per voxel for texturing? I do like my gradients and soft lighting! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

(Bart) #4

Yeah you can mix scales. I think that's along the lines of your first question.

And you're free to bake textures etc!

I'll add that info to the FAQ later tonight, I have to run now :wink:

(Aaronrobbins) #5

Should we create a brand new topic to hold our wip's and final submission or post them in the already created "contest updates" topic?

(Bart) #6

Please create your own WIP topic where you can post updates.

(Quin) #7

In terms of tools, are you wanting the main work to be done using a proper voxel editor like MagicaVoxel and something like blender only being used for polish, or can we build our models in another tool as long as it has that voxel "look and feel" to it?

(Klaasnienhuis) #8

Not sure if it's artistic cheating, but there are great voxel tools for 3dsMax around such as http://www.ycdivfx.com/product/voxel-creator-for-3ds-max/, http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/mcg-voxelizer or http:////rayfirestudios.com/feature/voxelization

(Bart) #9

I added an answer in the FAQ, thanks!

Not at all. You can do the same with Blender's Remesh modifier, but in my experience you don't get the same voxel 'feeling' as when you build your blocks by hand. Added this to the FAQ too.

(Emmanuel De Bernard) #10

Hey... :smile: ... Just to be clear, because I don't want it to happen again... XD... When's the deadline for the final entry? ... Thanks... :smile: ...

(Ab Red) #11

in the contest description, all the contestant will get a PRO license..
my question is, how do we get it? cause i saw a lot of contestant doesn't get the license,yea most of 'em..

(Newhere) #12

This is cool and it shows demonstration of how we are made up of tiny little atoms (Voxels in the digital world). I might enter this, question though: Can I use existing work of a model I built to turn into voxels? I also have a cool animation idea for this. Please let me know.

(Emmanuel De Bernard) #13

Once you've created your topic for the contest, they will add it to your account... ✌️😊

(Ab Red) #14

even they didn't give me a direct notification?? like, "hey congrats your account had a pro license now"

(Bart) #15

The PRO licenses will be added manually and you will receive a notification. I'm sick at home today, so I didn't have time yet. I expect to be back tomorrow and will handle it then!

(Ab Red) #16

@bartv Yay! that's what im talking about :smiley:

(Bart) #17

Entries close Wednesday, February 24.

(Ab Red) #18

@bartv i had a couples of ideas to put on my diorama, and i'm not sure which one should i pick to become my final submission.. so can i put multiple finished project for the contest? is that going to be fare??
idk, maybe i've actually read this thing on the rule section.. but just to make it clear.

(Bart) #19

Certainly, you can submit as many entries as you like!

(Ab Red) #20

sweet, i will make the new one if i can make it in time, well maybe this gonna help someone out there who had the same probs like me.. :smile:

cheers
AB