Heroic Voxels - The Portals Awaken

magicavoxel
voxel

(G.West) #1

Hi all, here's my entry for the Heroic Voxels contest. I was going to post my progress as I went, but I got carried away and ended up finishing it in one sitting!

The Portals Awaken by se7en23 on Sketchfab

It's based on an idea I had a while ago for an RPG where mysterious portals scattered throughout the world suddenly burst into life. Maybe one day I'll get to make it.

(Theteaguns) #2

Love this, especially the colors and the horse!

(Bart) #3

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Elbriga) #4

welcome to the contest and congrats, this is amazing, I love the concept and the shading, and those sun rays are genius :smile:

(Ab Red) #5

love at first sight :smile: i love the colors and somehow it remains me of Avatar the last air bender, haha i mean look at that, that guy is Aang holding a stick and there is Momo on his shoulder :stuck_out_tongue:
the horse is my favorite by the way :smiley:

(Nomadking) #6

I didn't even notice the sun rays til you mentioned them! lol

Really great entry @se7en23 :smile:

(G.West) #7

Yeah it could be Aang :smile:

It was actually inspired more by the character Lord Yupa from Nausicaa.

(Rickprokosch) #8

@se7en23 I really like this model. The moss and the pillars are great along with those light tubes!

(G.West) #9

Thanks for the comments guys.

The god rays were actually one of the first things I wanted to try in a voxel scene, and I think they came out looking okay. And if you look closely you'll notice they also align to the voxel grid :wink:

(G.West) #10

Just before the deadline I thought I'd post a few renders to hopefully give some idea of how I put my final scene together, seeing as I got carried away and finished it without documenting my progress :smile:

Here's the mage, horse and props before being placed into the final scene.

Due to the constraints of MagicaVoxel, I split the environment up into eight pieces. Here's what it looked like before being stitched back together, and before any objects were added.

Finally, here's a render of the final scene which I used as a reference when trying to match the lighting and camera set up in the 3D version.

(Macroiss) #11

Wow loved the design there!