How many lights can we have?

(Cheshire Creative) #1

Is it possible to add more lights in Sketchfab.

I'd like to do interiors but am being held back by only having 3 lights which is not realistic.

(Dark Minaz) #2

you can set all your lightbulbs to an emissive or bake your lightmap down so you can have unlimited lights :slight_smile:

(Cheshire Creative) #3

Thanks.
Have tried using emissive texture but they don't cast shadows.

Was hoping to not have to faff with baking lights. I've tried baking before and it just seemed like a massive ballache.

Would be much simpler if we could use multiple, shadow casting spotlights...

(Dark Minaz) #4

the problem is each light creates tons of extra calculations for your browser
so having 30 lights with shadows would use more power than most users could handle.

Would be bad to show it to a client that runs on a older pc and half the lights wouldn't start because his system could not handle them.

Baking lightmaps is a pain sure, but it makes scenes run way smoother for the viewer

(Cheshire Creative) #5

Thought that might be the case :frowning:

Guess I'll need to investigate baking again. Though I render with Octane in 3ds Max so this isn't ideal

(Dark Minaz) #6

i only know octane in c4d where it takes usually under an hour for a good lightmap
But it will take slightly longer sadly than just hit upload. But you need to keep in mind that there are x thousand different pc setups that need to display it, so learning that might be quite useful, just to show it to clients on a tablet or even a phone :slight_smile:

Our 3ds Max Exporter plugin includes options to automatically bake lighting during the upload process:

https://sketchfab.com/exporters/3dsmax