How to export models from Blender to Sketchfab

blender
upload

(Dr4m) #1

I am starting with 3d modeling using blender, and when I finish my models, always use blender to give them colours. But, when I upload the models, always they appear full-white, without colours. I know that I can change colours in sketchfab, but I prefer if I could upload them with the original colours xD I tried exporting them and uploading with .blend extension, .obj(this create 2 files, I compressed them and uploaded) and uploading the model directly from blender, and nothing worked. I read on sketchfab help a “guide” about it, but I didn’t understand what to do ^^" how I can do it?(I am not using downloaded textures, I only create materials in blender and assign them)

Are you using Cycles as your Renderer? Can you try switching to Blender Render and make your materials there before uploading?

(Dr4m) #3

Yes, I was using cycles. There aren’t any method for doing It with cycles renderer? I learned to use It, And I didnt tried blender render, so I would prefer to keep using cycles(but if it’s necessary, I could learn to do It with blender render too)

Normally you would have to bake the Cycles materials into regular textures. I’m not very familiar with it, but my understanding is that Cycles is mostly meant for doing static renders, not necessarily real-time.

Maybe @shaderbytes has some insight.

In the near future, we hope to update our plugin for use with Eevee in Blender 2.8 so that there will be a 1:1 translation between Blender and our PBR renderer using glTF. @waleguene what do you think the timeline will be for a more complete glTF importer/exporter?

(Waleguene) #5

Hi,

I don’t have a clear answer to this since it depends several factors:

We first need to wait for a stable enough version of Blender 2.8 before going forward with the plugin.
We already have an importer that works quite well with Blender 2.8 and glTF export is already being developped outside so we should be able to have something working. Then, we will need time to polish the exporter to give the best translation possible between Blender and Sketchfab, including PBR materials, and fixing as much as possible all the issues/limitations we have with animation etc.