How to use SketchUp Model with Substance Designer Texture in SketchFab? No UVs?

sketchup
substance
upload
blender
textures

(Tyson Gersh) #1

I have been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for DAYSSSSS, without much luck. I would really appreciate some assistance if possible.

I am trying to create a really realistic interactive model of a two-family flat.

This is the house in the real world:

This is the original model in SketchUp:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4ed06db4-23b8-4782-8b41-e90e1ff9064d/252-Smith-Draft

Here is the model in SketchFab:

The textures on both the SketchUp and SketchFab models (as of the time this original post is being made) are seamless photo textures I made in photoshop from real world photos of the materials.

This is a photo of the brick facade on the structure:

Here you can see a comparison of the real world and modeled wooden texture on the doors:

They are decent, but ultimately insufficient because you can see the repetitions of the pattern when viewing the structure as a whole. This is particularly true of the brick. They also don’t do the best job capturing / interacting with environmental data.

With that in mind, I followed this tutorial to make a high performance endless texture in substance designer.

Here is a screenshot of that substance:
efcff38657c68346149380e3c02a8c0df047b461_1_535x500

It’s not perfect, but the basic framework is exactly what I was looking for.

The problem I am now having is trying to apply the substance to the model itself.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this for days in the SketchUp and Allegorithmic (maker of Substance Designer and Substance Painter) forums.

Link to SketchUp Forum Post
Link to Allegorithmic Post

I know there’s a Substance Painter exporter and that the seemingly obvious strategy would be to import the model from SketchUp into Substance Painter, import the substance from substance designer into substance painter, apply the texture/substance, and then upload to SketchFab.

Problem is that SketchUp doesn’t really process/do UV wrapping/unwrapping. There’s an extension that lets you add them, but it’s only for windows and I have a mac/it costs money/its really inefficient for complex models.

Following the advice from one of the responses and this tutorial, I imported the model into Blender to try and “smart uv unwrap” the model, which works for the most part but can only be done one group at a time.

Here you can see I was able to unwrap the UV from the brick exterior group:
4af4c847130d23ae517c1f8b3060665f5a240c42_1_690x332

But I have over 100 groups total

doing this manually one by one would take forever and certainly isn’t a solution for other models I have the same problem with.

So, with all of this in mind, what should I do? I’ve been modeling the structures in my neighborhood, which typically feature a small handful of material types and I want to have a handful of super detailed super realistic textures that I can use on the models of them that I’m creating.

I feel like I’m always seeing these amazing models in the SketchFab explore feature that make me say “wow, how the heck did they make that? It’s so realistic!”. I guess I just really wanted to see if I could create something of that caliber.

I want to create a model that lives on SketchFab that I can show people that’s better than the static renderings of proposed structures we normally see to demonstrate that 1. SketchFab is a superior architectural visualization platform 2. Interactive models are way more engaging than the paper handouts we always get at community development meetings.

Please help!

(Tyson Gersh) #2

Some updates:

For some reason now if I try to export my SKetchup file as Dae and upload it directly into Substance Designer I get the following error code:
53%20PM

I guess the change is that it’s no longer saying anything about missing UVs, but “expected different index count in <p< element”. Anyone have any idea what that means?

here’s the link to the Dae file (too big to upload directly)

here’s the material folder that is generated along with it when exporting Dae from SU

I’ve been emailing back and forth with some folks a bit and they suggested I do the following:

"The model you uploaded ( https://sketchfab.com/models/8d5628cd55b741fcb01a4a4cebbb54c5 ) is a collada file from SketchUp, and it necessarily must have UVs because we would not be able to apply the textures correctly otherwise. I’m not sure why Substance would not be able to read them. Looks like Blender does not import them either, very strange.
Maybe you could download and import the glTF version that we generate into Blender and go from there?
See https://sketchfab.com/importers"
So I imported a glTF file of the SU model that had been uploaded to SF into Blender. The result looks like this:

not sure why, but I can’t view the texture UV map when I try in blender though… but it seems to work if you look at what shows up in Substance Painter below

Something a little wonky with the faces, but it works. Then I selected all (press A), space bar, manually type in “smart uv unwrap”, and create a UV unwrap for the whole thing all at the same time.

Then export from blender as Dae and import the dae. file into Substance Painter and SUCCESS the model imports! Remember to delete the starting cube from blender or else the import will fail.

The result looks like this:

Since I’m never to SP I’m still trying to figure out how to select specific meshes to apply my texture made in substance designer, but I wanted to provide some form of update.

anyone have any idea how to get those weird faces sticking out of the exterior to go away?
anyone have any idea how to select individual groups/meshes in this?

(Tyson Gersh) #3

Here’s what happens when I try to apply the texture:

Looks like the meshes aren’t separated. Texture isn’t doing what it’s supposed to either. What am I doing wrong? SOS. Please Help.