How to use Subsurface Scattering (SSS) maps on Sketchfab?

substance
3d
upload
textures

(Evandroloss) #1

I baked some maps for Subsurface Scattering (SSS) on Substance Painter 2 (Transmissive maps) and uploaded the object on Sketchfab. But it's not showing. I'm not sure if Sketchfab didn't recognize the maps or I need to set a different shader to the upload. I searched for SSS on Sketchfab and only found uploads using it, so, I know it's possible, but I couldn't find how to set this.
So, how can I set it to be shown?
Thanks!

(Simon Kratz) #2

Hi there!
The Sketchfab shaders don't support transmission (yet?) but you can still try to fake the effect you're going for. Maybe blend the transmission into the albedo and emission maps and see how it looks :slight_smile:

(Evandroloss) #3

I see... So people had done a nice work mimicking it, hehe. Do you know if is it a plan to work with SSS on Sketchfab in the future?

Thanks

(Simon Kratz) #4

It's a cool idea, maybe @stephomi or @james know more? :slight_smile: I myself stll hope for a shader editor feature (some
day)

(Stephomi) #5

Yes, SSS is planned.

We don't know yet how we'll implement it though, and more specifically the maps that we'll accept (transmissive, subdermis, translucency map, thickness map, subsurface color, etc...).

We don't know either if it's going to be a generic subsurface shader or if a special care for skin will be needed.

Ideally we'd like it to be as simple as possible, but currently, 3d softwares don't handle these materials the same way (unlike PBR which is now a well established standard across softwares).

(Evandroloss) #6

That's good news :slight_smile:
Well, to mimic the SSS, I made an emissive map from where it should glow because of the light, as @essimoon suggested, and it looks nice.

(Simon Kratz) #7

Glad it worked for you!
Looking forward to the addition to Sketchfab some day. But I see your problem, it would probably require a similar approach to pbr metalness vs. specular.
But with much more variations :frowning:
I'm also surprised this isn't part of the pbr standard, but maybe it's still too special.