How's Substance's exporter vs. Blender's?

exporter
substance
blender
3d
textures

(Mhazani) #1

Hi all! I'm not sure this is the right forum but since this is a multi-tool question I figured this would be the best place.

I've recently noticed to my disappointment (but understanding...) that Cycles nodes are virtually untranslatable to Sketchfab, and one has to resort to Blender Internal or bake the textures and lighting into a much more simplified material in order to properly export materials from Blender.

My question is: does working with Substance products help provide more control over the end result in Sketchfab, than working on materials in Cycles? Is the Substance exporter decent? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I'm about to embark on a new project and was thinking of keeping it in Cycles, but if the Substance integration with Sketchfab is top-notch that would definitely tip the scale in Substance's favor, since it would mean less cumbersome, duplicate work - and a chance to learn a new tool at that!

Any opinions, workflow tips, and success stories welcome and highly appreciated. Thanks!