I have a few questions about the contest. (...Okay, a lot of questions.)

(BladeManEXE10) #1

I’m sorry this got so long. If you can only answer one or two, that would still be appreciated.

1: Is there anything special I need to know about modelling a VR Chat room? Are there any tutorials?

2: Can I make a VR Chat room if I don’t have a VR headset to test it out?

3: What would be a problem area that people can get stuck in? How do I avoid that?

4: Is fan art based on copyrighted material acceptable? The CMC clubhouse on the contest page makes me think it is, but I thought I’d ask to make sure.

5: “Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.” Uh… What publicity is this talking about? What does that entail?

6: Can Mozilla Hubs use volumetrics and other more fancy materials? I assume it doesn’t use the Blender Cycles node setup.

7: How do I put in videos? And objects for user input like a button? And how would I have the video do that thing where from your perspective, it’s always facing directly at you?

I ask because one of my ideas has this big holo ball thing that you can put a video in, and a button so they can switch to just using a normal square pillar with a TV on each side.

8: Can I put in music and sound effects?

9: How do I make objects that you can move around? Or objects that you can break? Or start and stop animations?

Thank you for reading to the end, and good luck to anyone else entering.

(Tombolaso) #2

Hi! I’m not an expert or a judge but I think I can help you about some doubts you have.
1- just optimize models and textures, creating modular objects I think it’s the best approach
2- sure you can, no VR tools needed
3- keep the walkable area (floor) simple as possible, or make sure to let user understand where he can go and where he can’t
6- no! assets are going to run on a real-time app so no volumetric shaders or other heavy-performance stuffs (if you really want some volumetric effect you should fake that using fading textures or similar)
7- i think that at this stage you should only mockup the scene. All dynamics will be coded in the future
9- the same

Just keep it simple and optimized, think modular and make sure to mockup any interaction you want to do!
I hope I was helpful :slight_smile:

(BladeManEXE10) #3

Thanks for your help. But what do you mean by modular objects?

I was worried you needed VR gear to test out your room and work with the program.
“Oh, I wanna enter so I can get a VR headset!”

“No, you need a VR headset to enter.”

“o_e”

(Matthijs de Rijk) #4

I think that the vr room supports most of Sketchfabs features. If Sketchfab doesn’t support it, that the VR room probably won’t as well…

(Bart) #5

As mentioned before, design it as you would any real-time environment. For VR environments, keep in mind that they need to be navigable by teleportation - you must be able to point and click on a surface to get there. So if you can’t see it, or if it’s covered by a transparent plane, you can’t go there.

Sure thing. You can try it out on any mobile phone to test navigation and performance.

See above :slight_smile:

Yes, fan-art is allowed, but always provide credits to the original.

Typically coverage on social media and perhaps an Art Spotlight. Mozilla might have some requests too. Rest assured that we won’t make you do anything you don’t want to :slight_smile:

I don’t think they support volumetrics etc, so keep your scenes relatively simple. Any model you upload needs to be processed by Sketchfab first too and our Cycles support is only rudimentary. So upload & test to be sure.

Sketchfab doesn’t support video textures (yet), although could do some sprite animation.

Yes you can enhance your Sketchfab scene with sound, but I’m not sure if Mozilla Hubs supports this. I’ll check with them.

Supply those as separate objects and you’ll be able to move them in Mozilla Hubs. Not sure about the other interactivity, I’ll ask Mozilla.

My pleasure :slight_smile:

(Joshmarinacci) #6

Note that Hubs works on desktop just as well as mobile. It’s just not in stereo if you don’t have a headset.

Hubs does not support sound or animations directly the models. That’s something we are working on. For now assume the objects will be static and manually movable by the players.

(BladeManEXE10) #7

Wait, really?
But the contest page said bonus points for animations. And the spaceship example had a little animated… Hologram thingy.

Also, they said the assets like props must be tagged to be downloaded separately. How do I do that?
And does this mean props have to be either static and immovable or imported separately? Like if I want them to be able to move the table and chairs around, they’ll be something to download and set up yourself? As opposed to having them already set up when you load the room, but stuck in that position?

(Joshmarinacci) #8

I’ll check on the animation status.

Each thing you want to enter should have it’s on model on Sketchfab so it can be downloaded separately. So if you made a room with a table and four chairs, you’d want to upload the chair model and the table separately. It’s fine to also have a scene where you’ve set up the chairs and table as an example.

(BladeManEXE10) #9

Okay. Thanks.

Not too big a kink in my plans. I just think it would be cool to define objects in the scene as moveable.

“Waiter! Bring me a table to flip. This one’s glued to the floor…”

(Joshmarinacci) #10

I just learned we do have animation support now. Hubs will automatically play an object’s first animation clip, so it’s best to put only one animation in an object.

(Hadrien59) #11

Hello

concerning the lighting of the scene, how does the Hubs react to them ? Do they take the HDR of the sketchfab scene and the 3 lights we can put in ? Or is it a standart HDR that you have (in this case, can you provide it to us ?) ? Or do we have to bake ALL light maps ?

Thank you for the answers

(Joshmarinacci) #12

Hubs should load your lights but I don’t think it does HRD. I suggest you bake as much light as possible so it reduces the runtime cost for less powerful devices like Oculus Go and mobile

(Hadrien59) #13

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:
I actually never baked any light before, but hey ! here’s a chance to start :smiley:

(Tombolaso) #14

Could you please answer also to me?
I ve questions on my thread - Mozilla playground
:slight_smile: thanks

(Hadrien59) #15

Hello, it’s me again ^^’

I have a question concerning props… I experimented with different objects and they all appear with the same size. For example a 132cm tall sword appear like 20cm tall in a room. A shield would appear small, ect…
Can you please explain what kind of constraint or limitation there is concerning the props size ?

Thank you

(Tombolaso) #16

I’m not sure about what you are talking about… but I’ll try. When you finish modelling and you have your final objects you should apply scale before exporting. I don’t know which software you use but in blender there’s a “apply scale and rotation”. Try this!

(Hadrien59) #17

I already tried experiment with different scale for the same object. It appears that if the object is too big, the Hubs scale it down automatically…

(Tombolaso) #18

Mmm… do you mean Object’s scale or dimension? :thinking:

If you already tried it I can’t help you sorry :smiley:

(Hadrien59) #19

Well, yes I think we can speak of dimension ^^ which depend of the scale :stuck_out_tongue: I will wait for the dev’ answer to clear it out

(Tombolaso) #20

Mmh they are not the same thing… you can have a model whose dimension are 30, 50 , 150 for example, and the scale set to different values.
To be sure to have the right scale you have to apply scale when you finish modeling.
So you will have different objects with different dimension, but you have to apply scale to 1,1,1 to be sure they will have the right proportions between each other in the final scene.

At least this is how it works for game engine :slight_smile:
(And sorry for maccheronic English :smiley: )

What software do you use?