Importing model in UE4

(Davide445) #1

Created this model

Want to import in UE4 to obtain this effect

But exporting as gltf from Sketchfab and importing into UE4 I got this result

Appear a problem is Sketchfab create a scene, something UE4 didn’t support yet. Did I have any other option?

(Waleguene) #2

Hi @davide445,

I can confirm that UE4’s glTF plugin (which is still in beta /!) is not able to import the scene correctly.
It’s a bit surprising since the model doesn’t look complex at all, but maybe it has something like negative scales that make the importer uncomfortable.

The model is ok when you open it in other viewers like Three.js: https://gltf-viewer.donmccurdy.com/ so the data is fine.

A possible workaround for you would be to import the model in another tool (which supports glTF or DAE) and reexport in a format that can be handled by UE4, like OBJ or FBX.
Blender could be useful for this, and plugins like https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Blender-IO can be used to import glTF.

(Davide445) #3

Hi @waleguene thanks for your answer.
I tried to convert gltf in fbx, and also to convert the ldraw model in fbx passing from this 3ds file, but I got two bad results: importing as separate components this generate about 5.000 different parts starting from 237 bricks, all separated so in theory needing manual re-creation of the original model.
Importing the fbx using the combine meshes option generate a monolithic element with many lighting errors and that I can’t edit in his components to generate the time-lapse.
Curious is simple tools such as Win10 Creator is managing perfectly the gltf

The fact a the gltf file created from Sketchfab is considered a scene can be changed in some way, so that UE4 can recognize and maintain the single elements?

(Waleguene) #4

Yes, Microsoft put some effort in glTF support and it works great.
(I’m not familiar with the workflow from idraw, but I’m not surprised by the lighting issues if the scene actually has negative scales, it’s a pain to handle in some cases)

In the glTF file from Sketchfab, the model is split across 253 meshes, is it what you expect when importing it into a software ?

The original model doesn’t seem to be animated so I would use Blender to prepare the model using tools like https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/3390/how-to-select-objects-based-on-materials if needed, and then export into OBJ.

OBJ is probably the best to achieve this since it’s simple enough. Let’s just hope it will not mess up the geometries because of the negative scales

(Davide445) #5

Yes I expect to import the whole 253 meshes but maintaining the same disposition as created using the specialized tool stud.io, and as shown correctly in Creator. Unfortunately I need to use specialized tools such as stud.io since doing all in more conventional DCC will be too long.
In fact I already tried also the conversion to OBJ using Blender and C4D and produced also a unusable thousand of pieces.
Since I’m really not so expert of the various formats will be very nice if you or someone can just try and look at the results, maybe I’m just missing to use the right conversion and import options.