Is this a new WORKFLOW? Is it the path for a more ACCURATE result?

exporter
textures
3d

(Paulodisino) #1

Hello all,

I am using PhotoScan Pro, but I am not getting super accurate curves and sometimes the software just "squeeze" a statue's leg or vanishes with a curve so I decided to do a more complex workflow PhotoScan==>export dense clouds==>import them into Meshlab = (filename).PLY

The final proportions seem to be much more accurate that way than the ones I am obtaining thorugh PhotoScan Pro.
I basically export the dense clouds from PhotoScan as .ply and work them in Meshlab with the remeshing poisson.

The shapes look much more accurate, but the overall image wrapping around it is not fantastic, but I wanted to show you guys the advances with that technique. The only problem is that the file is around 160Mb and .ply!

I need to make it .obj so that I can decrease the poligons, but how do I do it from Meshlab?
Exporting in .OBJ doesn't generate any PNG texture alone. There is a Meshlab filter "Parametrization: Trivial Per-Triangle" which generates a PNG, but that has nothing to do with the one used in Blender and looks more like a freaking glitch-art piece conceived using the same pantone scale (lol).

Has anyone done this workflow before or am I just going too far and we have easier ways to do it?

(Ben Kreunen) #2

Creating a mesh from a pointcloud in Meshlab or CloudCompare (more stable than Meshlab on larger pointclouds) gives you control over the Poisson reconstruction settings. The typical workflow is to export as OBJ and then import back into Photoscan to generate the texture.

(Paulodisino) #3

Thank you so much! I will try it then!
Are there any escpecific proportions and setups I have to do in both softwares to scape scale problems?
For example, if I make an image with two chuncks, do I have to merge them in PhotoScan before sending to Meshlab or can I merge them in Meshlab?
Thank you

(Ben Kreunen) #4

If you're making the texture in Photoscan then it's easiest to merge the chunks first. Do not do any scaling/rotating in Meshlab. If you're using Meshlab to set the final scale, do this after you've exported your final textured model.

(Nebulousflynn) #5

I look forward to trying this @paulodisino - thanks for sharing!

(Paulodisino) #6

Good news @uomdigitisation, it worked perfect!!
The problem is the file is 500MB, how can I bring the .OBJ to the acceptable size?
Thank you so much!!

(Paulodisino) #7

Oh, I also put used Meshmixer (I know Z Brush is better), but it did a good job fixing minor problems.

Add new "3D scanning and photogrammetry" group in forum