Katarina Bilgewater (handpainted textures)

(Harrygn307) #1

Hi guys , this is my treath for the forum.
My name is Luis David Guzman Nava , I'm texture artist at CGbot Studio in the city of Monterrey in Mexico , I am currently working on updating my portfolio , here I'll post my progress and some notes or tips I use to work handpainted textures.

Right now I'm painting the diff of Katarina bilgewater, the model was downloaded from the following link: https://sketchfab.com/models/de46756f6a5247b49c88b96d6bae180a
And the model with texture in which I'm working:

Katarina Bilgewater WIP by Harry GN on Sketchfab

In case of not having a base to begin drawing,i usually start working with a map of AO to define where things have to be painted.
To paint textures i use Body paint in cinema 4d, I really like this software because in addition to painting on the model, has switches and settings used in Ps, plus it lets you export friendly files for Ps and be working simultaneously on PS and BP.
After searching references for props bearing the model, istart painting the greyscale, I prefer to do this this to define well the lights and shadows before working directly with color. also it allows to work faster using color gradients in PS.

Thank you very much for visiting the thread!! Stop to watch and comment, suggestions, opinions, feedback, they are always great :smile:

(Johnson Martin) #2

Glad you decided to share this here. I've dabbled in 2d digital painting. And I'm a hard surface modeler. So learning 3d painting techniques would be useful to me. I'll be watching this thread!

(Chaitanyak) #3

texturing is something i've always struggled with, will be watching this one :smile:
please share screenshots of brushes , pallets etc, thanks!

(Simon Kratz) #4

Nice to see some texturing wips here, too :smile:
Really looking forward to your progress since texturing is still something I really need to learn more about!

(Harrygn307) #5

Hi again , I saw that you comment that it would be more cool to explain a little more about process and having screenshots and brushes too , The truth is that it is my first post in a forum in my life : p so suggestions that what would you want me to explain, are great :smile: and I will start up with a tutorial about the interface and how i start painting a model :wink:

(Harrygn307) #6

Digital painting tutorial: (bodypaint introduction)
First of all, i will explain how to enter the interface and what I use.

Open cinema 4d, press Window-Layouts-BP 3D Paint

By clicking here, we will now see the following layout.

now we just simply drag our model, whether obj or FBX.
this will open a window, which shows you the scale of the model, you can leave it in 100 or 1, usually I work 100 because when you zoom in the model,it will became transparent in certain parts if you leave on a scale of 1, we press Ok and we have loaded our model, we appear a default material.

These are our working windows, there we can select colors, layers and materials, etc. To load our maps , (which i explained in the previous post, using an AO map or a ligthing map.
Before this, we have to remove the default materials, we go to the materials tab, this is our material default, if an FBX materials would have charge you. to remove only we click and delete it.
Why I get a little "x" next to the item? This "x" indicates that the material can not be edited, if we click on this "x", we eliminate the "X". We remove our basic material and now we just drag our texture over the model (can be an
AO or bake lighting, later I'll post a tutorial on how to make these maps) and it loads automatically.
next we just click on the material "x" to make it editable.

¡My texture is all crashed and ugly!

This is because deleting the default material stays saved, the loaded material history above, to remove us go to the tab object we click the icon material with an "x" and remove it with Del.

now we have the texture list, but we need to accommodate the lighting of the interface, if you look the model has a general shading, which does not allow us to see in detail the lines that we paint on the model, so we have to make it as a flat lighting, so click display and select constant shading.

yaaay!now we can start painting :smile: Body paint, works as PS contains layers and modes of layers, brushes and much more we facilitate the work when paint :smile: to create a new layer, we give right click on the material and create layer
Now select the brush, the tools we have them on the left side, and selected the brush or other tool we options will appear on the right side

we can modify the brush if we click on small circles that appear next to profile, size, pressure, and there i usually active the pen pressure pression box to detect pressure me on the wacom tablet, but i also reduce it under the pressure of 20 to 50% it can vary depending on the detail, but usually start with that settings, default brsuch and activated pen pressure.
There is one last thing I want to explain before finishing this tutorial, there are two ways of painting are the 3D painting mode that is the one that is activated by default, and projection painting.
The difference between the two is as follows, 3d painting mode detects you uvs cuts, and allows you to paint only to the edge of the cut, now if we press the projection mode, you can paint over cuts uvs without problems, this is very useful for removing seams, and also the projection mode gives you brushstrokes with higher resolution.

Note: The erasert is changeable like the brushes, you can only erase with the 3d painting mode, proyection mode doesn´t allow us to erase.

Here the first tutorial! I hope you like it :smile: and soon I'll upload more :)