Legion Wordscreamer

(Nomadking) #1

Yup, the title isn't a spelling mistake, the Wordscreamer will be a mobile Burning Legion torture device, designed to make even the holiest of Paladins scream the answers the foul Cultists desire. :imp:

Design Notes
The main body of the machine will consist of a fairly standard torture rack raised up from ground on slow moving legs, with an orbital control panel and torture arms. There'll be lots of spikey things too... probably too many.

I'm going to avoid adding a character to this one, as I want the machine to be the main focus, but I'm thinking of adding a couple of small demons that would help out the operator - possibly Beholders (Behelpers? :wink:)

My ramblings probably don't make much sense, so I better go do some sketching!

(Michael Calvert) #2

Sounds very nomadic and dark. =P

(Nomadking) #3

Well I couldn't use cute little Corgi's as the helpers... that's such a cliche! :wink:

I'm hoping to keep it a little fun with the design / texture work, and not too dark. The Behelpers will help with this :sunglasses:

(Phaedrus) #4

looking forward to seeing some concepts :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bart) #5

Hi, how's your entry coming along? We've just posted a quick update on the main contest thread - please check it out.

(Nomadking) #6

Thanks for the reminder @bartv :slight_smile:

After doing a little concept work, I started making the core part of my terrible machine... but it sucked, so I threw it away and started again.

This puts me a little bit behind where I wanted to be with this, but MUCH happier with the direction. Going to post some screenshots later after I spend the evening working on it :imp:

(Nomadking) #7

In an effort to be more open with my workflow, I have some very rough screenshots to share. Be gentle! :wink:

So this is the base of the machine. The ornate skull design is semi-finish, and the legs are roughly blocked out so I had a sense of scale (this shot is still quite close in compared to the scale of the final piece). The legs well probably end up ornate like the base, hopefully creating a mix of sculpture and function.

The clockwork mechanism of the central column support the control panel platform and the torture arm, with the slot at the top for attaching the main rack part. You can see the stubs of where these will attach to the cogs, allowing them to orbit around the victim above for those up close and personal torture moments!

This 2nd shot shows the base side on... and reveals that it might be a little bit front heavy. Since I want the design to feel functional, I'll probably have to rotate the side legs around more to support the weight.

That's all for now... it's a bit of a Franken-thing, but it's progressing! :slight_smile:

(Nomadking) #8

The main body / base is now done:

I'm currently working on the ornate part of legs:

Once this part is done, I'll be moving onto the mechanical connections for the legs / arms and the main Rack section above. Still not finalised my scale for that part, but since the base has come out so nicely I'll probably end up readjusting my scale from what I originally planned.

Aiming to blitz the geometry and UV's today / tomorrow, then spend the remaining time on texturing! :slight_smile:

Look scary! Can't wait to see what this looks like with texturing!

(Nomadking) #10

Hopefully it still looks scary then too :wink: I'll have to avoid using pink...

(Nomadking) #11

Took a break from finishing the geometry to sort out the UV's and smoothing for what I have so far, then threw it up here to see how it looks :slight_smile:

Now back to making the rack!

(Nomadking) #12

Threw together a quick base platform whilst I'm finishing off the machine details:

(Nomadking) #13

An another version of the skull for use higher up:

(Nomadking) #14

Done and done. :slight_smile:

I had to make some changes to how I originally saw this coming out, but I'm happy with the end result!

We cut. We slice. We cut. We slice!