Lots of errors in this model (displays fine though)

upload
3d

(Simon Kratz) #1

If relevant, PLEASE include the model URL and other information so we can quickly investigate. Thanks! :smile:

Model URL: https://sketchfab.com/models/11c74054e3de4984ace09175d73b3c9e

Browser: Firefox

Operating System: Win7

Description of problem:
Hi Sketchfab team,
the viewer told me a lot of I ssues during the upload of this mode. I didn't really understand what it means but the model displays fine. It would be great if I could get a little explanation on the errors nevertheless so that I can prevent them in future uploads :smile:

I used edited normals on the tree's foliage. Might that be the problem/unsupported?

(Simon Kratz) #2

I re-uploaded it to see the full list of errors:

- generic :
dynamic library 'osgPlugins-3.3.8/osgdb_.so' does not exist (or isn't readable):
Missing file ''

- animation :
Channel 'rotate' with target 'tree_foliage_4 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'rotate' with target 'island_0 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'grass_3 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'rotate' with target 'tree_base_2 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'tree_base_2 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'rotate' with target 'grass_3 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'RootNode_5 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'island_0 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'tree_foliage_4 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'water_1 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'RootNode_5 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'tree_foliage_4 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'water_1 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'tree_base_2 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'translate' with target 'island_0 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'rotate' with target 'water_1 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'rotate' with target 'RootNode_5 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.
Channel 'scale' with target 'grass_3 'seems redundant with stacked transform and has been removed.

- normals :
Geometry '25_4' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '5_0' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '0' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '45_8' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry 'island_island_0' has some flipped normals; please check that the shading is correct
Geometry '95_18' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '10_1' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '90_17' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry 'tree_foliage__0' has some flipped normals; please check that the shading is correct
Geometry '15_2' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '55_10' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '30_5' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '60_11' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '65_12' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '70_13' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '85_16' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '50_9' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry 'grass_foliage_0' has some flipped normals; please check that the shading is correct
Geometry '80_15' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '35_6' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '20_3' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '40_7' normals have all been smoothed
Geometry '75_14' normals have all been smoothed

If it displays ok, you can ignore warnings :smile:

@marc would know best on all these

• Missing OSG library I have no idea.

• The stacked transform warnings aren't very useful, it's not super clear to me what's happening there.

• We always smooth everything with morph targets, so maybe that is the normal smoothing stuff?

(Simon Kratz) #4

Thanks for the fast reply, James. Glad to hear!
I think you're right, the normal stuff sounds like it's the morph targets. I named them according to their frame number (e.g. 0, 5, 10, 15, ...) so it sounds pretty much like they're the cause.
The stacked transform stuff sounds to me like there's a parent object to all the meshes which has position 0/0/0, rotation 0/0/0 and scale 1/1/1. Something that doesn't make any difference mathematically.
I don't remember parenting all the things but who knows :smile:

(Mrchlblng) #5

Hey @essimoon, @james,

• the dynamic library message is definitively something that should not have gone to you, sorry about that
  • animation redundant channels is exactly what you guessed; during the beta, we used to generate animations even for static models so we added some filters to remove them if we have no doubt that the models are indeed static
  • for morph targets, we had some samples with a really bad shading so for now, we always smooth normals for morph geometries
  • regarding the 'flipped normals' it usually is some false positive (we compare the relative orientation between the input normal and a 'smoothed' one adn the way we generate this 'smoothed' normal may not always be appropriate in all cases)

We initially thought that providing more feedback regarding what happens during the model processing would be great. However, we only try to point to issues (with a wording that is not always very clear and with possibly some false positive warnings) without proposing solutions which is often not that helpful as messages are really more sketchfab specific than "3d generic".
In the end, users that read the messages (which is not the majority of users :)) seem to be more confused and I'm really wondering wether it's a good thing to keep those or not.