Sketchfab Forum

Lynda Head Scan

(Timeless3d) #1

Lynda by Timeless3d on Sketchfab

Journal:
This purpose for this scan was to help me understand how to use alphas and certain brushes in Zbrush and incorporated them into my workflow. Using youtube tutorials, and free online resources, I was able to create extreme skin detail and export the detail to a normals map and a displacement map. The tutorial also detailed how to export a cavity map, and a AO map, though my computer didn't have enough ram to complete these operations.

In Substance Painter, I was able to load in the normals map, and load the displacement map into a fill layer with only "height" activated. I used the default skin material on a fill layer with only "roughness" activated, then brushed in more roughness for the hair, and less for the eyes, and a bit less for the lips.

This was a generally successful workflow, my next project is to download and learn Bitmap2Material to see what kind of maps I can generate through that.

Useful notes:
1) It's best to photoshop out reflections from eyes in the diffuse texture if you're going to expect reflections in the material
2) Zbrush exports maps upside down. They cannot be fixed in photoshopped by rotating them 180 degrees, they have to be flipped vertically.

(Bart) #2

Thanks for sharing! So if I understand you correctly you took an existing scan and 'painted' additional detail onto it? Could you share the original scan here too so we can see the difference? As it is, I find it quite hard to see what you did.

Also, do you still have a list of those tutorials? I'm sure others might be interested in them, too.

Thanks!

(Timeless3d) #3

Lynda is a friend of mine who let me take about 70 photos of her all around her head while she stayed still (photogammetry). I processed the photos in photoscan, but as most people who have tried photogammetry, it's really hard to get clear results using a single camera on a subject capable of moving. The initial scan made her look severly deformed:

Not only did I fail to capture the details, but I had to further smooth out the model to get rid of all of the artifacts.

Here is an early test, of the smoothed model(I used the diffuse texture for all channels, including the bump map, but decided to leave it as shadeless because she looked like she was made out of wood.)

Lynda Test by Timeless3d on Sketchfab

Even deformed models can look okay in a shadeless environment, but my goal for this human scan project is to create a gallery of life model references for artists, who can rotate the environment and choose the direction of the light for their artwork. For that to be successful, I need models to handle shading correctly and to have skin that doesn't look like plastic or wood when reflecting light.

Here is a before/after comparison of my work in zbrush:

Here is the tutorial I used for creating skin detail:

and here is the tutorial I used for exporting that detail into maps:

(Bart) #4

Oh wow that's a HUGE improvement! Thanks so much for sharing that story and those tutorials!