Mad Science Contest 2016: Contest Updates

(Bart) #1

This forum is for documenting the Work in Progress for the Mad Science contest entries. The prize pot contains $500 in Amazon (or similar) gift cards, Sketchfab wear and Sketchfab Cardboard VR viewers!

Finally! After all these years of working in his basement lab, professor Balthazar’s latest invention was ready to be unleashed! World domination was now within reach… Explore wacky inventions, insane scientists and their terrifying (or more likely, failed) results in our new challenge: Mad Science.

This time, we’re letting your imagination run wild: there are no boundaries in terms of tools, techniques or Sketchfab features to use. You just need to tell us a story about weird people and their inventions – maybe they are fearsome, or just doomed to fail.

Check out the full contest description and rules here.

Subscribe to this thread to receive updates

Would you like to receive an email when we post new entries? Scroll to the bottom of this page, click the 'Tracking' button and change it to 'Watching'. That's all!

TESLA blacking out Colorado Spring
The Inventor's Daughter Progress Thread
Leon Theremin. Russian scientist who invented thereminvox (duh..)
Yet another evil toy - cute to evil Changer [finished]
Desde las tierras áridas del Sur
Bio-Mechanical Magnetic Robot
Mad Scientist "Experiments on alien life form"
Dr. B mysterious device
The Lord of Evil, The creator of many things, the one and only Dr Dante [done]
The new Timeinator 3000! [FINISHED] (formerly Mad Science Watch)
Sweet dreams, Bitter city
Obssesed and mad scientist playing God. (Disclaimer: Bad grammar may be included, english is not my native language) [Done]
When Worlds Collide
Desert Punk's Explosive Battery Pack
Game World Domination - One Fearsome Creature at a Time!
Eat this! [Done]
Real Perpetual Motion Machine
Perfect cup of coffee!? #mad-science-wip
🐺So much Corgi!🐺
[Cartoony] Mouse-trap Overkill!
Reanimating the dead, sorta
Mad Jelly Idea Machine - Final
A Quest to The Golden Galaxy
WIP Mad Science Contest - Soares
Weaponized Sheep Trial #9-78 [Done]
Mad science contest wip / i love robots "FINAL"
[3Rton] Miss. Chocolate Science
Venusian Paint well
CoffeeBot - Mr.Bean - (DONE)
A Quest to the Golden Galaxy. - Mad-scientist Contest
Community Contest: Mad Science
Sexy Sadistic Scientist
Pinocchio 2016 Experiment [DONE]
Doctor Vile's first test
QUEST FOR WORLD DOMINATION #mad-science-wip
Super evil secret
Codename: TARIUS
Gepetto - Pinocchio New Era
Super evil secret
Frankenstein's Experiment
The Time Machine... "It runs on steam!" [Complete]
Science God - Mad Science WIP
What else is there? [Done]
Mad Jelly Idea Machine - Final
Dr. Smore's lab
🐺So much Corgi!🐺
Frankenstein Lives Again! DONE!
[Cartoony] Mouse-trap Overkill!
The Lord of Evil, The creator of many things, the one and only Dr Dante [done]
Only a Rat... Not so mad after all
Let the madness begin! #mad-science-wip
Yet another evil toy - cute to evil Changer [finished]
Gepetto - Pinocchio New Era
Evil PEPE laboratory
Frankenstein's Experiment
The Time Machine... "It runs on steam!" [Complete]
Codename: TARIUS
Eat this! [Done]
Desert Punk's Explosive Battery Pack
Obssesed and mad scientist playing God. (Disclaimer: Bad grammar may be included, english is not my native language) [Done]
TESLA blacking out Colorado Spring
The Anti Plumbob [Done]
Doctor Vile's first test
The new Timeinator 3000! [FINISHED] (formerly Mad Science Watch)
Perfect cup of coffee!? #mad-science-wip
Sexy Sadistic Scientist
Mad science contest wip / i love robots "FINAL"
Community Contest: Mad Science
A Quest to the Golden Galaxy. - Mad-scientist Contest
Venusian Paint well
WIP Mad Science Contest - Soares
A Quest to The Golden Galaxy
Real Perpetual Motion Machine
Mad Scientist "Experiments on alien life form"
Game World Domination - One Fearsome Creature at a Time!
Bio-Mechanical Magnetic Robot
CoffeeBot - Mr.Bean - (DONE)
[3Rton] Miss. Chocolate Science
What if you could bring back prehistoric monsters. AND RULE THE WORLD
Reanimating the dead, sorta
When Worlds Collide
Moms gonna flip out over the electricity bill this month i just know it
Johnny and Gnomestar
Dr. B mysterious device
The Test #mad-science-wip
Cheese Please Labs
Lockett's Lair #mad-science-wip
Sweet dreams, Bitter city
Desde las tierras áridas del Sur
Lost Inventions of the Greatest Minds in History
Get Ready to Jump
A not so mad scientist. - Mad Science WIP
Lockett's Lair #mad-science-wip
Duneholy's voxel workshop "Dr. Bones terrible experiments" [Done]
The Test #mad-science-wip
Let the madness begin! #mad-science-wip
The Anti Plumbob [Done]
Moms gonna flip out over the electricity bill this month i just know it
🐲 Dr. Raptor's Project "Road to the Asteroid" [Done]
Dr. Smore's lab
Cheese Please Labs
Frankenstein Lives Again! DONE!
What if you could bring back prehistoric monsters. AND RULE THE WORLD
Leon Theremin. Russian scientist who invented thereminvox (duh..)
Only a Rat... Not so mad after all
What else is there? [Done]
Mini mad lab in massive mechanical arm [Done!]
Lost Inventions of the Greatest Minds in History
Johnny and Gnomestar
(Technoir) #3

Hi @bartv here it is where I have to subscribe me?

(Bart) #4

Yep! See the instructions at the bottom of the first post!

(Bart) #5

Contest Update #1 - Concept art!

We've entered the second week of Mad Science and with 32 WIP threads we're off to a great start! Many contestants started by sharing their concept art (see the compilation above) and I'm getting really excited to see where this is heading!

Topics range from punk desert thiefs stealing energy in their explosive battery packs to a mouse uprising with a secret cheese formula and evil robots spreading sugar and sweetness wherever they can! (And then I didn't even mention so many other cool ideas).

Just to keep your eye on the ball, here's a reminder of the contest planning:

• Wednesday May 25 - Contest launch (done that!)
  • Wednesday June 8 - Contest reminder in the Community Newsletter
  • Wednesday June 22nd - Submission deadline
  • Wednesday June 29th - Winners announced

Also, please be sure to tag your WIP models with #mad-science-wip and not with #mad-science-2016, which is the tag for your final submissions.

Any questions? I'm here to answer them! :smile:

(Bart) #6

Contest Update 2

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update this time - mainly to remind you that we're now half way through our contest! You have less than two weeks left - submissions have to be in by Wednesday, June 22nd, Midnight New York time. So hurry up :smile:

We're now with 51 participants, and final entries are starting to appear in the contest gallery.

Having a great time here following the work, how about you?

(Nomadking) #7

Hey guys!

I'm @NomadKing (or Phil), one of the previous contest winners and one of the lucky judges for the Mad Science Contest. Since we're at the halfway stage I thought I stop by with some comments on what I've seen so far, and also to echo @bartv's words - there are only 2 weeks left - so use your time wisely! :wink:

The topic for this contest has been a great one. I've really enjoyed looking through all the forum threads, and I've seen lots of great ideas, cool concepts and brilliant screenshots! It's good to see the different approaches people are taking. The variation in ideas has been huge, and it's probably going to be a nightmare to judge, but hopefully in a good way.

Don't worry if your thread isn't filled with fancy concept art, or gorgeously lit WIP screenshots - while they are nice to look at, and learn from, it's the final model that counts. Get that right and you'll do well :smile:

As someone who's entered a few contests, and ended up doing eleventh hour work far too often, this is the point in the contest where people should be figuring out what they need to do to get something finished. Identify the critical path you have left and start moving down it.

Finish your low-poly version, bake your maps, make some textures, pose your characters, set your scene, lights, lights, lights - whatever it is, start thinking about it and start making time to get it done. If this means have to cut a few things, alter your concept, or shuffle around your scene - do it!

You can always add things later if there's time, but you can't do 2 weeks work in 2 hours. I've tried. It doesn't work without a DeLorean. There are so many good entries it would a shame to not see them finished.

Good luck everyone - and remember to tag your final entries! :thumbsup:

(Lord Mojo) #8

You are true.
Its time to stop procrastinating, and have some WIP uploaded.
Thnks for the motivation :sunglasses: :computer:

(Ediediedi) #9

Hi guys!! Hi @bartv . Sorry, i'm a little busy last week. So i forgot to see the contest updates. I see a lot of new ideas come. Different with last time i see. There just some topics there.

I agree with @nomadking this is a great one theme. There must be a lot of idea in your head. Me too. Hahha

Did you mad while making the concept. I think you will make a great idea if you act or think like a mad scientist. You know what they usually do, what are they do that time(your now concept), and everything that they have on the their lab. But don't be too mad while making the concept. You have a deadline. Hha. Dead-line.

There is so many nice concept. And i see a corgi. A mad corgi. But he is cute. But he is mad. Hha.. Keep working .. Don't ever change the concept. Just do your concept. Just make it clear. All of your message is clear. Tell what do you want to tell.

Sometimes i have ask my lectures to do a private. No it's not a private. It just me and my teacher, we discussed about concept, about how to make a success art, i show them my artwork, ask them for advice, etc. I think you will need your honest friend opinion about your work. It will help you a lot.

I think that is from me. Make sure your model will fiinished and submitted. Something is happened to me last week. Good luck guys.. :slight_smile:

(Midio) #10

Hi guys! Midio here! :slight_smile:

I'm one of the winners of the Heroic Voxels Contest and I also happen to be one of this contest's judges! I've been taking a look at all the forum entries and WIP posts and I gotta say there are lots of awesome stuff being made! Keep up the amazing work! We have 10 days till the deadline (June 22nd), so there's still plenty of time to develop and model cool stuff!

Here's a couple of personal tips and advices that might come in handy!

1) Try to stick to a story and solid concept.
If your model is already done, take a step back and look at it from a distance: what is the story I'm telling? Is it clear enough, is the message easily conveyed? If you have Sketchfab Pro, use the annotations to create your own story, and if you haven't, try using something different: maybe you can duplicate your model to tell us how that terrible mad scientist machine went wrong? Why not try to make a 3D comic strip? Be consistent to your concept.

2) Know your limitations and work with them
Sometimes, it's important to know what are our limitations and deliver a great result within those boundaries. After all, creativity only happens when we have those solid constraints, right? That's where the challenge comes from. If you don't know much of 3D lighting, try doing a well modelled piece and playing with Sketchfab's light. Or maybe character modelling isn't your thing, but you can rock on environment. Try using your strengths to your favor! If you want to push yourself a little further, do it, but work your strengths out and let us see it!

3) Don't overdo
When doing art, there's always a little thing here and there that might be changed, and we would tweak things indefinitely if we could- that is, until someone tells us the deadline is near. Focus on delivering something in the last 10 days!

4) Don't fear that your work is not good enough
You know, contests are made for everyone, and there's pros and amateurs joining and you might fear your work won't meet "the standards". DON'T. Your work might be just as good as anyone else's. My Heroic Voxels entry was my second voxel model and one of the few 3D models I ever did (as I work mostly as a 2D game artist), and turns out it made me get the 1st prize.

So trust your work, work on your limitations, stick to a concept, don't overdo and don't fear your work is not good enough.

I know there's going to be AWESOME models for us to judge, so keep up the amazing work and I can't hardly wait to see them all :heart: Rock on!

Best, good luck, and lots of love :heart: :heart: :heart:

Midio

(Bart) #11

Hi folks!

quick update for everyone: we have just released an awesome new feature that's really going to help you add a lot of drama to your Mad Science scenes: Depth of Field!

Check it out (you can click anywhere to refocus):

Big Hero Six Fan Art - 'Big Hero Max' by JCulley3D on Sketchfab

(Bart) #12

Second update this week: don't forget that the deadline is approaching fast!

Keep these two things in mind:

• Entries close Wednesday, June 22nd.
  • Publish your final entry to your account, and tag it with mad-science-2016.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Mad Science 2016 - Hollow Crystal Sage
(Bart) #13

Hi everyone! It's time for the final call for submissions! Remember the deadline for entries is tonight, 23:59 New York time. Also remember to add the mad-science-2016 tag to your entry or it will not be considered for voting (I'd really hate to see someone miss out because of that).

We'll start voting tomorrow (the team and our three judges), and the winners will be announced next Wednesday!

Ok, I hope you'll have time to finish up your entries and after that - get some rest! :slight_smile:

(Bart) #14

Aaaaand it's done! All the evil plans and insane machinations have reached their completion. Now it's up to the Sketchfab team and our awesome judges to decide who will achieve world domination! We're cooking up an ultra-secret formula to determine the results and we'll be back next Wednesday. Stay tuned!

(Bart) #16

Hey folks, the winners have been announced!