Madrid meetup conversation

(Bart) #1

We had a great meetup in Madrid last week. Over 20 people showed up and we had a really engaged conversation about 3D on the web, usage for Cultural Heritage and Museums and much, much more.

One of the things we decided is that we'd like to continue our conversation here on the forum, so here's the place to do it. For everyone on Madrid: could you post a quick introduction about yourself and how you use or could use Sketchfab? Just one or two lines would be enough, as a quick reminder.

Thanks again, and I hope I'll see you all again soon!

(Nestor F. Marques) #2

Hola a todos!

Hi everyone,

I'm Néstor, currently making models of cultural heritage for the Archaeological Museum of Spain (Museo Arquelógico Nacional) and the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Saint Ferdinand (Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando)

Here you'll see some of my most recent models. I specially recommend you the greek cratera and the Boxer.

Hope you can share your work too, so we can create a 3D community in Madrid.

Encantado de haberos conocido a todos. Una gran experiencia.

(Bart) #3

Hi Nestor!

They look great! Were these commissioned by the museum? What did they think? Also, which scanning equipment do you use to create these?

(Nestor F. Marques) #4

Yes. I'm currently working with the two museums in creating new environments suitable for this "new" kind of heritage documentation. We are planing on developing research programs based on the 3D models and also creating web exhibitions for the public to enjoy the possibilities of seeing, feeling and experiencing archaeological objects which are always behind the glass, "in their own hands".

We are excited about this new projects, and I have to thank you and all in the Sketchfab team. Without you, we wouldn't be able to show this to the public. Also the community that gives feedback with ideas and advices.

I'm working hard (and I know a lot of people who does too) to make new technologies available for heritage research, documentation and public spread of the culture of our past, which is crucial to understand our society in the present and for preserving it for the future generations.

In terms of equipment, I do structure from motion photogrammetry in a studio set (when possible) processed with Agisoft Photoscan and finished (cleaned, retouched, polished, textured...) in Blender to achieve the final quality of the displayed models. It's a cheap (but powerful) way to do it. Saves a lot of money without compromising quality.

I try to improve every day so I hope my models will too.

Thanks for the compliments.

(Bart) #5

Great, could you keep us updated on your projects with them? We're eager to collaborate with museums and have already started several projects, including the British Museum.

Also, have you found the Cultural Heritage group here on the forum? It's a great place to exchange ideas and perfect your skills:

http://forum.sketchfab.com/c/groups/cultural-heritage