Materials get combined in SF

Hi, I am uploading a scene with many materials to SF and some of them get combined and show this strange combination of many materials and UVs into one material.

I cant find any solution on how to separate them.
I am using 3ds max and export the scene to a single FBX file

I tested the scene in Marmoset Toolbag and it works fine, but as soon as I upload the scene to SF it gets messed up.
Any ideas?

How many materials do you have in your scene? We have a limit of 100 materials and will combine them if you use more than that.

1 Like

I am not sure, but it should not be over a 100. Unless Toolbag exporter somehow messed it all up. I will try and reapply the materials and let you know how it worked out.

1 Like

Hey i know sketchfab should detect multisub mat but I wonder if its worth giving this a go?

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/detach-by-material-id

It could be while u dont have over 100 materials, you may have over 100 ids… hence causing an issue?

1 Like

OK, I just tested the material method and it looks like it works just fine now (creating new materials and reapplying them to objects).
I believe, exporting scene from Toolbag was an awful idea, it made loads of materials with multi/submaterials (which is the same material, but for each object in the scene).

It’s a shame, I was thinking of a quick way to import this scene I made in Marmoset Toolbag, but it breaks meshes and applies loads of unnecessary materials on exported FBX. I will have to rebuild the scene in 3Ds Max and upload it to SF.

Thanks everyone for your help and tips :slight_smile:

2 Likes