maxTextureSize no longer working

(Punkoffice) #1

Hmm...I have a bad feeling you guys removed this intentionally with the hope that users will go to settings and select HD :/ Say it isn't so! What's gonna happen is Facebook users will click on it, assume I'm using a cheap handheld scanner, then they'll close the page
..or is there another way to set default texture size?

(Mauricesvay) #2

Hi @punkoffice

The maxTextureSize is undocumented and shouldn't be relied on.

The quality setting is here to give people control: load smaller textures when they are taking too long to load, or select higher resolution to get more details when the device supports it. By default, we do our best to select the right texture size based on device specifications.

We may have a way to preselect the quality in a near future, but we will always favor a viewer that works to a viewer that crashes the device.

Meanwhile, my advice would be to add a note to your models to tell your viewers that they can bump the quality by clicking on HD.

(Punkoffice) #3

I was about to send you a screenshot of how bad it looked this morning but now the textures look great! 8 hours ago (around 5pm Paris time) my textures on iPhone were just stuck on the very low-quality texture that shows up as you are loading the full texture. Now it doesn't even show that kind of texture. It goes from a medium-quality texture up to a high quality one when its fully loaded. So everything is fine and your strategy is working well

I just checked the desktop browser and confirmed that the very low-quality texture that shows during loading has been replaced with a higher quality texture, so I'm certain something's been changed.

(Mauricesvay) #4

Happy that it works out for you. Be assured that we are working to improve the viewer to provide the best quality and performance. Let us know if you have more questions or issues, we're here to help.

(Stephomi) #5

@punkoffice When you press save settings (or upload a new model), we generate multiresolution of your textures.
It may take some times, so meanwhile the LD/MD button might fallback on 32x32 textures.

We are trying to reduce the amount of time necessary to generate these textures, so hopefully it will be shorter.