Medieval Fantasy FAQ

(Bart) #1

General questions

Can I submit more than one entry?

You can submit multiple entries. But be advised that for each entry, you will also need to upload the corresponding individual assets (also read 'How should we upload individual assets?' below).

If I were to submit two entries are we allowed to mix the assets in the entries??

Yes.

How do I get my Medieval Fantasy cardboard viewer?

The first 100 participants will receive a Medieval Fantasies Cardboard! To qualify, start a ‘Work in Progress’ topic in the Medieval Fantasy contest forum and we’ll contact you for your details via private message.

Do I get a contest badge?

Yes! After you've opened your work in progress topic, you'll be awarded with the prestigious Medieval Fantasy (forum-only) badge:

How long do we need to keep the assets for download and when can we delete them?

At least for 3 months, to give the Mozilla community a chance to work with them. Ideally you won't delete them though :slight_smile:

Which countries can participate?

We're not limiting any countries and will ship prizes world-wide.

Design-related questions

Does "Medieval" mean that only "European" Medieval is allowed?

No, we're not exclusive to European culture. Feel free to mix other 'Middle Age' styles too.

Do the characters have to be in the exact same visual style as the example?

We still offer a fair degree of creative freedom, as long as the general ‘visual style’ matches the examples, you’ll be fine. There are no templates to work from.

Can I use SciFi elements?

No, please don't mix Scifi elements. Stay 'on topic' for a medieval storyline. Fantasy elements (magic, dragons etc) are okay, but no 'higher technology.

Should I use my XYZ theme?

I am little reluctant to do a snow themed medieval scene since the assets will be compiled and used along with everyone else's and the biomes won't match. Is it better to stick to a neutral biome?

There's a good chance someone else will do a snow theme as well, so go for it!

Can we rig and animate?

Absolutely. Voting will be based on the model quality though, not on extra features like animation or sound.

Participating

How should we upload individual assets?

You're required to upload:

• 1x complete scene using all your assets. Tag with #MedievalFantasyScene.
  • Upload each individual asset. Tag each with #MedievalFantasyAssets. If you submit more than one scene, you can clarify which scene an asset belongs to with the model title. For example: "Rock for Castle Urghvania" (I suck at names, sorry).

Technical requirements

What do you mean by "Real-time asset"?

We're looking for assets that are 'real time ready' - so be conservative with your polycount and texture budget. You'll find exact guidelines in the contest blogpost, under 'Technical Requirements'.

Can I use light maps in my scene?

For your scene yes, for the individual assets perhaps better not - this might limit how they can be used in other projects.

How does the poly budget work?

For your final, assembled scene, you should aim for ~ 50.000 triangles (not quads - Sketchfab will convert them to triangles). This limit is imposed to ensure scenes work well on mobile devices, but if you REALLY need a bit more, we won't disqualify you if you use a little more, like 55k.

Can I share textures/UV maps between assets?

Yes! Please try to use a texture atlas or shared textures as much as possible - this will help the performance of your project.

How does the recommended VR scale work?

Unit sizes are a tricky thing when working with intermediary file formats, so we recommend setting 1 unit to 1 meter in your 3D software if that option is available. We have added this guideline to make it easier for other artists to mix assets from this challenge in their own scenes. Your entry won't be rejected if you can't make this work.

For more information, see the detailed explanation by creationsmaxo in this topic.

What do you mean with "Make sure your assembled scene is easy to navigate using teleportation"?

Nothing fancy, but two suggestions:

1. Do test your scene on a cardboard if you can to see if the navigation makes sense (it's sometimes surprising what you forget to add if you're not testing in VR!)
  2. Avoid using transparent planes for things like smoke or plants as they will effectively block the navigation (the teleportation 'cursor' will lock on to the transparent plane instead of the scene behind it).

Can I use transparent planes for non-walkable places - like holed cloth for trade tents, curtains, flags, etc?

Just a recommendation. Using transparency in non-reachable areas is fine - this point was only made to make people understand transparent planes can block navigation.

How granular should my individual assets be?

In regards to submitting single assets, how granular is that? For example, if there is a collection of rocks that can be placed individually in the main scene, does each rock need to be uploaded separately ("Small Rock 1", "Small Rock 2", "Large Rock") or can they be uploaded as a group/kit?

If an asset is meant to be used individually, it should be uploaded individually. The reason behind is that the Mozilla community will just download the GLTF's they need (they load straight into A-Frame), and they may not have 3D editing tools required to 'split' your assets.

Low Polygon the way to go?
Contest Updates
Claiming Google Cardboard
[WIP] Medival Fantasy Contest -The Devil's Workshop
[WIP] Royal gardens
Contest Updates
Contest Updates
Contest Updates
[WIP] Medieval Fantasy Contest - King's family
(Bart) #2

(Oleglinkov) #3

sorry if wrong thread, but I've got a question. Reading the requirements, I found this little gem:

• For scale, assume 1 unit = 1 meter in VR.

1 unit of what? If I work in 3ds max, for example, I can setup my units to be equal to meters, inches, etc. Is this line even relevant for the end result? Could my work be rejected because I failed to comply with that requirement?

(Redmdlee) #4

Hi I have question in regards to the visual style,
I was wondering if I could deviate a little from the references you've provided, specifically in regards to modeling the characters in the scene. Does it have to follow the same anatomical proportion as the sample or is it okay for us to stray from it a little bit given that it should still fit the visual style of the scene?

(Creationsmaxo) #5

When there's a mention of 1 unit = 1 meter, that means that you got to set up the unit in meters so that "1x1x1" is a cube made of 1 meter x 1 meter x 1 meter.

This also means that a character shouldn't be at 3 units high or more unless it's a big thing like a giant or a dragon.
It doesn't have to be like this while you work on it, but you got to remember, at the end, to scale the whole scene to its appropriate sizes. (Note that you got to size things in their right size before creating and managing any rigging/animations.)

Why are they doing/requesting this is simply to allow those who will use the assets at Mozilla to not have to resize everything (which might create some problem based on how things were done.) While unit in 3D are subjective, if you got 2 artists that make assets in different units sizes, when fused together, the assets won't be at the right size.

So, when you think about 3ds Max Units management, it's best if you use a Units = Meters to avoid forgetting that your sizes aren't right for exportation. In theory, you could work with cm or mm or inches and export, but that would requires you to convert those cm or mm or inches into a different size unit and as we don't have the information regarding if their VR uses native size or incorporated size (first ignore the size data and only uses its units data. Second recognize and converts the unit data saved and may break things in a really bad way)

So, in the end, use Unit = Meter and you should be fine.

(Aboulicious) #6

Hello there,

I hope I'm in the right threat for asking that?

My Question:
Does "Medieval" mean that only "European" Medieval is allowed? Or is Chinese, Japanes or what ever which Middle Adge also allowed? (Non european architecutre, cloth, weapons, etc.) What about non european dragons or other mythical creatures? (such as Tengu, Long, Orochi, etc.)

How much fantasy can it be?
For example: Floating islands? Or a city on the clouds? Is this "too much" fantasy?

(Oleglinkov) #7

My confusion comes from this "in VR" part. If it was just about 1 unit = 1 meter, there wouldn't be problem at all. Obviously 1 meter in VR somehow different from just 1 meter, otherwise why mention it?

(Bart) #8

Hey all,

I have answered all your questions in the updated FAQ section! Please let me know if anything is still not clear.

(Aboulicious) #9

Thank you @bartv for the answeres.

I have still the question about the "degree" of fantasy. How much fantasy is allowed? :smiley:

For example: Floating islands? Or a city on the clouds? Giant Human skulls and bones (from giants) shaping the landscapes. Is this "too much" fantasy?

And is there a way to get a clear color palette? The only reference and styleguide pieces I see, are the posts from @kevin_pauly.

(Bart) #10

That's hard to quantify :slight_smile: When in doubt, present us your concept art and we'll give you some guidance. I think floating cities etc fit into this theme fine.

As for the color palette, we didn't create one, so use Kevin's work as a guidelines. Again, you have a degree of freedom here (and obviously, you're allowed to texture too)

(Roidiaz) #11

Hi, I have a couple of cuestions:

Is the contest limited to one entry per person or we can compose several scenes?
Which is the judging criteria?

(Roguenoodle) #12

In regards to submitting single assets, how granular is that? For example, if there is a collection of rocks that can be placed individually in the main scene, does each rock need to be uploaded separately ("Small Rock 1", "Small Rock 2", "Large Rock") or can they be uploaded as a group/kit?

(Feyfolken Km) #13

Avoid using transparent planes for things like smoke or plants as they will effectively block the navigation (the teleportation 'cursor' will lock on to the transparent plane instead of the scene behind it).

Is it hard ban or just strict recommendation? Can i use transparent planes for non-walkable places - like holed cloth for trade tents, curtains, flags, etc?

And, what means "real-time assets"?

(Bart) #14

Just a recommendation. Using transparency in non-reachable areas is fine - this point was only made to make people understand transparent planes can block navigation.

See the specifications in the blogpost for polycount, texture budget etc.

(Bart) #15

If an asset is meant to be used individually, it should be uploaded individually. The reason behind is that the Mozilla community will just download the GLTF's they need (they load straight into A-Frame), and they may not have 3D editing tools required to 'split' your assets.

(Feyfolken Km) #16

Oh, its "performance for smartphones", I thought about interactivity or something :grin:
Thanks

(Oleglinkov) #17

what about multiple entries for one person? for example I'd like to make something similar to examples that were provided, but I also have an idea of doing something inspired by middle-eastern culture. Still fantasy, but won't fit in the first scene.

(Bart) #18

You can submit multiple entries. But be advised that for each entry, you will also need to upload the corresponding individual assets.

(Feyfolken Km) #19

Oh, by the way, @bartv, is animation allowed?

(Rolypolyshakeshake) #20

Is Low Polygon the way to go making assets?

and what whould be handy to buil first for this contest?

i have created this one today, its aint medieval yet, but anybody has ideas?

Lets Share the Lowpolygon Ideas here.

kind Regards
Daniel the furry Friend