Medieval Ruins - Complete

(Roguenoodle) #1

Finally done - honestly didn't think I'd get in under the deadline :grimacing: Didn't accomplish everything I wanted, but overall satisfied. Congratulations to everyone who entered - looking forward to checking them out! (after I get some sleep)

Final Submission screenshot:

Not 100% sure of the theme for my set, but definitely keen to enter something. Thinking along the lines of explorable ruins - dilapidated structures, overgrowth, etc. It's something to start with at least. Hope to post some concepts up by the end of the week - we'll see how that works out...

(Roguenoodle) #2

Finally had some time to put a little more thought into this. First, a rough sketch that's probably not worth sharing:

And the start of a block out. Planning to get the final scene more or less laid out with simplified models and then replace with finished assets as they are completed.

And no - that's not an Enderman...

(Lorem Ipsum) #3

Nice start, I'm thinking how are you going to implement the ivy. I was planning to make some foliage myself and vines but not sure about going too high with geometry, transparent textures are not acceptable..

(Roguenoodle) #4

Yeah, I know what you mean - I almost immediately regretted doing something based on heavy foliage, haha.

I think transparent textures are okay as long as they aren't present in walkable areas, so against walls would be fine. The main issue with transparent textures is that the mesh blocks navigation, even if 100% transparent, so a texture card of vines dangling in a path would definitely cause issues.

I don't plan on using too much in the way of textures personally, and focusing more on colour and shape in the mesh instead. For ivy on walls, for example, I'll most likely stick to reusable clumps of tris. The chunk on this wall is pretty bland right now, but only 186 tris - I'm hoping that with some colour/size/angle variation as well as more detail in the surrounding structures, it will look stylized yet fairly convincing. Definitely going to need more tests though...

(Bart) #5

I'm glad we have you on board :slight_smile: I’ve just sent you instructions on how to claim your free Medieval Fantasy Cardboard viewer. Check your private messages here on the forum.

(Roguenoodle) #6

Thanks Bart :slight_smile:

(Lorem Ipsum) #7

Super cool!

(Roguenoodle) #8

A little more progress on this. Switching gears just a bit, and focusing a little less on foliage and more on a decent collection of building blocks for exterior castle/fortress ruins. Still hoping to add some placeable ivy/vine assets but waiting until the end to see what sort of budget I have to spend on them.

Small test scene from the collection of ~10 building blocks I have roughed out so far:

And a quick test in Unity to get a feel for the scale (ignore the janky stair collisions ...)

(Redmdlee) #9

I remember reading somewhere in the FAQ that transparent textures are allowed on areas where the will be users can't traverse, like backgrounds and I am guessing the ivy and vines on the wall could pass since you can't really traverse through a wall but don't take my word for it xD I am not 100% on this as well ^^

(Roguenoodle) #10

Yeah - that's my understanding as well, though I wasn't really planning on using textures if at all possible. It might make sense for things like ivy though. We'll see :slight_smile:

(just realized you were replying to @lorem.ipsum... sorry about that!)

(Redmdlee) #11

well I just replied to the appropriate comment I found ^^
I think we're suppose use textures, at least from I understood it. I remember reading somewhere in the technical aspects that we should have a PBR workflow to set up materials, I am not sure what that means but I from what I found from the net, we have to use textures like diffuse map, metallic map, opacity map etc.
Kinda makes the work double xD

(Roguenoodle) #12

I could be wrong, and @bartv would definitely have the best answers, but I think the PBR workflow is more in regards to what renderer is used and how your materials are set up on Sketchfab. So while that certainly could mean using textures to define your roughness, metalness, opacity, etc, I don't think you have to. Looking at the models referenced for style, I'd say that in most cases numeric values are used for these properties, rather than textures.

As another example:

This previous model of mine uses a single PBR material with no textures and vertex colours for diffuse colour definition. This is roughly the sort of style I'm aiming for, though I'm not yet sure if vertex colours can be used in this competition.

(Redmdlee) #13

I am a little confused on what PBR means, I am kinda new to stuff like 3D terminologies everything's going over my head lol

(Roguenoodle) #14

Ha, yeah - it gets complicated for sure! PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering, and has more to do with how lighting in a scene reacts with surface properties of a material. How glossy, metallic or rough a material is defines how lighting in the scene will bounce/reflect or otherwise react with that surface.

Texturing comes into play as a means of controlling these properties on a per-pixel basis. So instead of a material having a uniform roughness, for example, a texture can control which areas the material are rougher than others. This can be used to create very detailed and realistic materials, but often in a low-poly style like those shown in the guide for this competition, realism isn't necessarily the goal.

That doesn't mean you can't take advantage of PBR properties though - you could, for instance, have a stone wall material that has a high uniform roughness value so it appears very matte/dull, and a glass material that has low roughness, making it appear shinier/smoother and even reflective when used with environment lighting.

If you're interested in going deeper into learning about PBR, Allegorithmic (creators of Substance Designer and Substance Painter) have some interesting guides here: https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide

(Redmdlee) #15

I think I sort of get the gist, So I probably don't need to UV map my models right, the materials and shaders would do?

(Roguenoodle) #16

UV unwrapping is probably a good idea regardless, as you'll need it for lightmapping if you (or any of the users who download your assets) want to bake lighting into the scenes created.

But yeah, @bartv might be able to chime in with some better info about that :slight_smile:

(Lorem Ipsum) #17

Lovely house! I love that style.

And to put my 5 cents about textures, I agree, I am not going to make textures neither, I think having colour materials, with the use of spec, rough, AO etc. sliders certainly will do the job for the requested style. Also UVs are important, also with two channels, one for textures if one wants, and second as lightmap for the engine.

Also, having it tested in the engine is a very good idea, since there is really no scale requirement, just a guidance. Good job on that :slight_smile:

(Khea) #18

Oh, nice to add this Unity test! And very cool work so far, as usual :slight_smile: (I don't know if you were planning to keep it that way but I really like the little house with the chimney of your first progress picture!)

Concerning the ivy, I think it adds a very nice touch to the overall feeling of the ruins (as in the first picture you posted). I know it's quite complicated to set up foliage in a really low poly style, especially in this case of VR environment because the viewers get to see the models very closely in 1st person.
Well, in this Jungle Temple model by Kevin Pauly (who made the reference models of this challenge), he uses only extrusions of the structures in a few places to create a kind of moss. It's not exactly foliage but I think it looks quite good (+ it's not high budget in terms of poly count). Maybe you could try this out when you'll be at that step again :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing your next updates!

(Roguenoodle) #19

Thanks so much for that example - super helpful!

And maybe it's just me, but village ruins of the initial post felt more depressing than mysterious (hence the shift to the more castle/temple theme of the second version). So the little house may not make it back in but objects like a fireplace/forge/etc might be added as potential props :slight_smile:

(Khea) #20

Works for me :stuck_out_tongue: I think you're right to go with the castle structure, anyway! For the level design part, it should be more interesting and fun to play with!