Sketchfab Forum

Monthly 3D Scanning Challenge: Books #3DScanBooks

photoscan

(Nebulousflynn) #1

Please use this thread to post your submissions to the challenge - remember to tag with #3DScanBooks
Feel free to share in-progress work, ask for help and tips with making a scan of your favourite book.
~ nebulouslynn :slight_smile:

For more information on the challenge, including prizes, check out the blog:

(Nebulousflynn) #2

Here's a quick scan of book from the turn of the 20th Century - an edition of Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens.

I made this using Agisoft PhotoScan, 2 chunks, around 100 images in total. As you can see from the model below, I had some trouble with the pages moving when I flipped the book over resulting in the gnarly mesh in the model below (it's behind the edited scan, spin to view). Not perfect, but ok.

If I get some time I'd like to create a separate map for the gold lettering on the spine...

(Nedo) #3

Whats the Polygon Count limit, same as in Horn of Plenty, about 25k ?

(Nebulousflynn) #4

hey @nedo - as low as you can go!

If you want to publish a hi and a low poly version that's cool too.

Personally I'm interested to see how people edit and optimize their raw scans... but maybe that's just me :slight_smile:

Cool challenge! Do they have to be hardcover for a certain aesthetic? Or do you find that hardcover is easier?

(Misterdevious) #6

Personally, I'm curious to see how people handle glossy covers and embossed gold/silver lettering. :stuck_out_tongue:

This looks like an interesting challenge. I hope to participate with something unusual/fun if I can scrounge the time for it.

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

(Nebulousflynn) #7

@seori I think any kind of book is fine - if it has a special meaning to the scanner then it's even better (i.e. a childhood favourite, a famous national author, a favourite cover design etc.)

I'm a big fan of Charles Dickens so chose this 100 year old copy of his work.

@misterdevious I think at first glance this seems like a simple challenge as books a quite simple shapes but (as I discovered) they can be tricky to manipulate and capture! Looking forward to seeing more of your work :smiley:

(Hannahrice) #8

Hi all, I'm a photogrammetry newbie but couldn't resist submitting a book with me being a trainee archivist! :slight_smile: I had to photograph this outside and it was slightly windy (you can see some distortion) and it took multiple attempts to get something I was fairly happy with... but here you go-

(Felix Matveev) #9

Hello, everyone

This contest looks interesting - and ironically enough my girlfriend is a book designer, so we decided to participate with scans of her books.

This is what we made at the moment:

I plan to make a full scan of the back side and merge it into the model and optimize a mesh also.

p.s.: I hope it's okay that it's non-English book?

(Nebulousflynn) #10

@hannahrice newbies are most certainly welcome and looks like a good job to me :slight_smile: The extra information in the description is great too - have you tried adding annotations? They might work well to describe what the the post-its are marking

(Nebulousflynn) #11

@FelixMatveev It's great that it's a non-english book! Even cooler that it's an unusual book design by your girlfriend. Looking forward to checking out the full scan :blue_book:

(Hannahrice) #12

Hello- thanks for the tip! :slight_smile: I've never used the annotations before as I didn't realise there was a visibility toggle button for them. Just added them and it looks much better!

(Leqsus) #13

I can publish this book?

(Vlad) #14

So small entries, so i can't pass.

GOLGO13 (Manga) Pocket Edition.

(Vlad) #15

(Paintpaul) #16

Did you turn the book to get good photos out of every perspective? How did you clean up the mesh?

(Vlad) #17

Yes

Raw scan cleanup in 3DCoat (smoothing cover with several mesh sculpting tools)

(Dark Minaz) #18

wow this one looks so real i wanted to find a way to open and read it :open_mouth:
I don't know much about scans but it sure does look impressive

(Paintpaul) #19

thank you! :slight_smile:

(Vlad) #20

Oh, thank you!
That was just a quick and a bit dirty "scan". Planned with normal light even with iPhone camera can give much much better result.
And some more time with materials, still don't clearly understand how made good glossy but not reflective surface on SketchFab.