More Substance based work?

(Simon Kratz) #1

Hi everyone!
I recently made my first experiment with Substance Designer and this is what came out:

Frozen Ground Substance + Sketchfab Mat Probe by essimoon on Sketchfab

It's fully procedural, tileable and the form, size, rotation and color of the icy shapes can be changed.
I still have much to learn before I can use SD more professionally.
So I'd love to see your Substance work :smile:
I made this material probe downloadable so please feel free to use it if you'd like to showcase yourctexruring work with it.

(Blackhart) #2

All of my models now are textured in Substance, mostly Substance Painter because I share a lot of props and the painting tools make it easier for this purpose, Substance Designer I feel is far more helpful for making procedural materials for objects that can use generic seamless tiling (e.g. walls, grounds, floors, etc...)

I do have a couple of models showing off just SD materials though:

Asphalt by Blackhart on Sketchfab

Rocky Ground by Blackhart on Sketchfab

(Simon Kratz) #3

Really cool! :smiley:
And yeah I feel the same about Substance Designer and Painter. For specific props I definitely prefer Painter, too.
How did you learn those two tools? Are there any specific resources you would recommend?
I guess everything from Wes McDermott is cool :smile:
Your Rocky Ground reminds me of a tutorial I watched that he made.

(Blackhart) #4

Thank you :smile: The rocky ground is based on following Wes's tutorial actually. I've actually pretty much only watched the tutorial series he's put on the Allegorithmic YouTube channel.

The series they have for Substance in Unity 5 was really really good (especially if you do game design because it opened my eyes to a lot of the features for making material settings available in the game engine), the rocky ground one was really good as well as an overview of PBR and the toolset. I guess it helped me pick up the workflow quicker that I've been using Blender for a few years now and Cycles is a mostly node-based material system, so I'm used to node based workflows.

I tend to learn by trial-and-error, brute forcing my way through, and googling when I want to find out what a specific tool I come across does. Probably not the best way to learn since it means I'm really inefficient to start with, with lots of "Ah-ha!" moments when I find out something new the software can do or a new technique, but I personally prefer learning at my own pace like that.

Ninja Edit: This is one of the first tutorials I followed for Substance Painter, it was actually really good in showing off things like the mask tools and bakers... not the best tutorial or audio quality, but I found it enlightening.