Mozilla Hubs Contest FAQ

(Bart) #1

General Questions

Is there anything special I need to know about modelling a VR Chat room? Are there any tutorials?

Design it as you would any real-time environment. For VR environments, keep in mind that they need to be navigable by teleportation - you must be able to point and click on a surface to get there. So if you can’t see it, or if it’s covered by a transparent plane, you can’t go there.

Can I make a VR Chat room if I don’t have a VR headset to test it out?

Note that Hubs works on desktop just as well as mobile. It’s just not in stereo if you don’t have a headset.

Alternatively, you can use a mobile device with a cardboard viewer to test your room.

Is fan art based on copyrighted material acceptable?

Yes, fan-art is allowed as long as it’s properly crediting the original

Technical Questions

Can Mozilla Hubs use volumetrics and other more fancy materials? I assume it doesn’t use the Blender Cycles node setup.**

How do I put in videos? And objects for user input like a button? And how would I have the video do that thing where from your perspective, it’s always facing directly at you?

Neither Sketchfab nor Hubs support these kinds of interactions at this time, so please avoid them.

Can I put in music and sound effects?

Hubs does not support sound or animations directly the models. That’s something the Hubs team is working on. For now assume the objects will be static and manually movable by the players.

How can I use animation?

Hubs will automatically play an object’s first animation clip, so it’s best to put only one animation in an object.

How do I make objects that you can move around?

Moveable assets need to be provided as separate assets (tagged with #MozHubsProp).

How can I start/stop animations in Hubs?

We currently have no way to ‘trigger’ the start of an animation.

What about lighting?

Hubs should use the real-time lights from your Sketchfab scene.

Can I use HDR lighting?

Hubs should load your lights but does not use HDR. We suggest you bake as much light as possible so it reduces the runtime cost for less powerful devices like Oculus Go and mobile

Mozilla Clubhouse Contest Updates
(Bart) pinned #2

(Tombolaso) #3

Hola! Sorry but there is still something I don’t understand … about lighting

You say “Hubs should load your lights but does not use HDR”, but here comes my doubt. If I dont use an HDRI (that works as a Global Illumination, or skybox, or call it however you want), but only directional(and non) light… the difference between baked models and real-time-lighted models will be too much, no?

Maybe I misunderstood :thinking:

For example, I bake ALL my light in the static environment. So the “map” will be all baked.
If a drop in scene other objects from my #MozHubsProp, and i dont have a GI, that models will be totally different looking from the baked scene. (see image attached)

Thank again!!

(Bart) #4

Sorry, I just added a clarification. You can definitely use real-time lights in your scene, it’s just the more ‘expensive’ effects like HDR, Ambient Occlusion etc that you should consider baking in. By using a mix of real-time and baked light you should be able to achieve the effect you’re looking for.

Does that answer your question?

(Tombolaso) #5

Well… yeah! Much better :smiley:
So Hubs will run a skybox, right?
Just thinking… maybe too much :smiley: … without a Skybox what will reflect metallic materials? (on real-time imported models)

(Bart) #6

Not sure - @joshmarinacci can you answer this?

(Mediochrea) #7

A very specific question, probably, but is it possible to use vertex colors within Sketchfab/Hubs? I was planning on relying heavily on tiling textures, and baking some lighting information into vertex colors is usually the way to go in this use case.

(Bart) #8

Within Sketchfab, yes: https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/210765623-Vertex-Colors

@joshmarinacci can you answer this for Hubs?

(Joshmarinacci) #9

Hmm. It should work. From our point of view it’s just a GLTF file. Hubs is built on aframe is built on threejs which supports vertex colors. Definitely test it out first, though.

(Hadrien59) #10

Hello !

And concerning the size of the props, is there any “max” size? It seems that the Hubs scale down the imported object if they are too big, like swords, or tables…
What is the maximum size of an imported prop ?

(Mediochrea) #11

@bartv @joshmarinacci Thanks a lot guys, I will definitely test it!

(Joshmarinacci) #12

There is no max size. It assumes 1 unit is 1 meter.

(Hadrien59) #13

Really ?

Beacause I tried to import all sorts of different objets in the Exemple Hub provided by Sketchfab and most of them rescale to a small version of themself…

Can you maybe show me a large object on sketchfab that keeps its scale when imported ?

Thanks

(Hadrien59) #14

Here is a visual comparaison of differents objects I found randomly on sketchfab the house and the helicopter are supposed to be way bigger…
I tried already with the same objects but with different scales and they all finnaly appear at the same size in the hub

(Daedal Js) #15

i noticed that when i was testing stuff out in hubs too.
you can resize things after you bring them if you grab them then hold shift and scroll the mouse wheel but it would be nice if things were brought in at the proper scale.
that said, some models aren’t exactly made to the same scale so it’s nice that you can resize things too.

(Hadrien59) #16

YEAYYYAYEAYEYAYE !!! Thank you !! 3 days I am looking after this XD !!!

(Joshmarinacci) #17

weird. I’ll investigate

(Joshmarinacci) #18

Okay. So Hubs will auto-scale anything you paste as a 1 meter cube. This is because people could paste in anything at any scale. A future update may provide options for this.

However, if you want to build a full scene with both props and walls, furniture etc, you should use Spoke. Spoke is our scene composer tool. You can drop in any models you want, position and light them to create a scene, then publish to Hubs as a ‘scene’. This scene can then be used to spawn a new room.

(Plasmaernst) #19

Hi :slight_smile:

Will the Spoke Editor be used to convert sketchfab-scenes into hubs?
I noticed that in Spokes, there are no shadows or blocking of light by geometry currently. I understand it’s still in beta, but do you know if this functionality will be implemented anytime soon?

Is there any more documentation regarding lighting or collision inside Spoke?

Have a nice day :v:

(Daedal Js) #20

i’ve been playing around with spoke and hubs.
i was going to make elevators to easily get to the higher seating levels rather than having to use the stair ramps i made since there’s only two of them and it’s a large area to cover but everything i could figure out to try for an elevator has failed testing it with spoke.

objects you animate can be set to be a part of the floor plan but only their initial position seems to be calculated for that so things like an animated elevator will pass right through you while you’re standing where it was initially loaded.

animation seems to be eye candy only so spiral ramps will have to do for now i guess.

is there’s no way to make an actual working elevator?