My Neighbor Totoro - Bus stop scene

(Penny) #1

Hi all! I'm excited to participate in this contest. :slight_smile: The scene that I've chosen is the bus stop scene from My Neighbor Totoro, where the girls are waiting for their dad under a lonely street lamp. I'm going to try animating the rain, but if I can't figure it out, can I change the category later on and submit it as a static scene? :blush:

Here are some screenshots:

(Bart) #2

Welcome on board! I've just added one month of free Sketchfab PRO to your account. You will now be able to upload larger models, use more annotations and more - here's more information.

Also, don't forget to subscribe to the contest news thread and to read the Frequently Asked Questions!

We'll be in touch :slight_smile:

Of course, no problem!

(Randatic) #3

This is GREAT scene to do. I can't wait to it when you're done! Love the movie.

(Penny) #4

Starting on some trees, just screenshots this time.

I bought some Cardboard to try out VR, and it gives me a headache. :confused:

(Penny) #5

Made some leaves and grass:

I tried out SculptFab to get some high-poly details on the road. My first sculpting attempt; it was suuuper fun! I tried to bake some bump maps out, but it doesn't quite achieve the look I wanted.

I ended up reducing the high-poly road to something acceptable, and this is probably what I'll use:

Here it is with some puddles and lighting:

(Penny) #6

This took over a week of chipping away at it, but I'm satisfied with the poly count and squishiness of it now! :slight_smile: It's still not uv unwrapped or textured, but I'm gonna jump back to doing more of the trees and greenery next.

(Penny) #7

Gosh, the deadline draws near!

Satisfied with this density of shrubbery. Now to populate the rest of the scene with it, and work on the lamp post and bus stop sign!

(Penny) #8

I made it! Here it is \o/

I enjoyed this contest very much! It was very fun to work on a project along with others and see everyone's progress each week. :slight_smile: It was a nice mix of humbling, intimidating, and inspiring.